glass thickness for plywood build

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
I've got two pieces of glass, 6'x30" that is 5/8" thick. Thinking of building either a pond or tank, how do I determine how wide and tall I can build the tank/pond with the glass I have? If the tank/pond will be 14' or longer I'll use both panes for front viewing windows, if not I'll end up using each one for it's own tank/pond.

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
length and with don't matter one bit on the thickness of glass its all about height. With 5/8" thick you could go about 36" high

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
inerested

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Gotcha, I always thought width and height were the determining factors. It's great to know it's only the height that will matter! Now I just need to determine if I want a pond/s or tank/s. I'm closing on a house next week that has great potential in the basement!!

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Nope, I'm reusing the back and front panes from an old 220gallon tank. Won't be the prettiest thing but will be nice to start with and use for testing purposes on my first build.

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
I am going to be cutting apart a 150g x-tall tank to make a plywood tank. It has a 1/2" 48" x 30" front pane I will use as a viewing window. I will be making the tank about 40" water depth but the window will only be about 24" submersed. The bottom 16" or so will just be double layer 3/4" plywood most likely. I want it deep but am stuck with the 1/2" so mounting it up higher is my solution. I figure it doesn't matter if the tank is 500' or 24" tall, it only matters what the glass is actually exposed to. At least this is what I figured from moving a pond liner around in my old above ground pond when it was full.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
I am going to be cutting apart a 150g x-tall tank to make a plywood tank. It has a 1/2" 48" x 30" front pane I will use as a viewing window. I will be making the tank about 40" water depth but the window will only be about 24" submersed. The bottom 16" or so will just be double layer 3/4" plywood most likely. I want it deep but am stuck with the 1/2" so mounting it up higher is my solution. I figure it doesn't matter if the tank is 500' or 24" tall, it only matters what the glass is actually exposed to. At least this is what I figured from moving a pond liner around in my old above ground pond when it was full.
1/2inch can be exposed to 27-28inches of water depth. I used 1/2inch on my build. I have a water depth of 34inches but the glass is raised up off of the bottom 7inches. I have a viewing window 27inches tall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store