INPUT WANTED for Shallow Lagoon Tank

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
Hey guys,

I want to build (or buy) a shallow freshwater tank with dimensions 48" x 24" x ~16". Originally I planned side overflow but now Im interested in relocating it to the center to do some more creative work...
http://www.youtube.com/user/Konolua

current unresolved issues:

Return Location:
Location of water return in conjunction to a centered internal overflow?

Filter:
Canister filter vs. Wet/Dry filter (prefer W/D)

Ive got a school of redtail labeos living with crabs in a normal boring tank. I would prefer a wide shallow tank, and am planning to construct something tall covering the centered overflow. Currently working on the stand while I price out the tank. What do you think? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
cant comment on filtration too much. However I can say it will be cheaper to make it all glass depending on price of glass in your area. I'll be building a 8'x4'x19"(17-18" water height) tank all glass. It was gonna be plywood but after researching the price it was cheaper to go with glass vs sealing the plywood with epoxy and fiberglass to a point where I'd feel safe

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
I was researching and noticed glasscages will be in my area in about a week. I may order the glass from them, anyone have any experience with them?

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
Hey is there a problem with using 3/8" glass for a tank of that size, because I found a manuf thats willing to sell me some huge pieces for a few dollars.. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store