How would i get my baby Pbass to eat pellets?

Mike Lee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
wisconsin
So i got my pbass about 1week and a half ago. They are about 2inches each.(Just mono or ocel.) I got 6 of them plus another 3 that are my cuzins that he's keeping in my tank for temporary times to when he goes home. so 9 all together. Currently feeding them some worms and some black worms. My question is how would i get them to eat pellets? My idea is to starve them so when they get desperate and will start eating it BUT i dont wanna starve them. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure someone can help me. Tank size is a 55gal growout. But i'll have a 8 1/2' by 6 1/2', 3'deep pond done by the start of next year so dont worry about the space. Help please! THANKS!

BigUmbeeFan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
nj
Hikari floating carn sticks. Best pellet training food out there. Always worked for me. Another thing is to have other fish in the tank that eat pellets. They can be a big help in training as well.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I have used gangster's method in the past and its worked wonders for me. See if they will eat frozen bloodworms. If they do, use a spoon and start mashing pellets with defrosted bloodworms in a cup. Progressively add more pellets and less bloodworms, took an average of 2 weeks before they completely accepted pellets. Also feeding in the same spot helps and dont just dump it in all at once, make sure they are nearby the "spot" when you spoon a glob in. day by day, eventually you will end up with a thick goo that is mostly pellet and very little bloodworms, you can then start adding in dry pellets to the goo when feeding. This will get them used to the hardness/texture of the pellet, b/c they should be used to the taste by then.

joshs801

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
utah
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?33661-Converting-Cichla-off-Live-Food

I did this word for word and now have all my bass on pellet tilapia , market shrimp, krill
an amazing guide

Best thing i can tell you is you need to get them interested in hitting the top of the water this way the will be more excited to eat , I did the one gold fish for a long time like 3-4 weeks only with gold fish or danios etc what ever you feed them but dont stray away from the one in at a time or they will get lazy.

Then after you have done this and the are eating and hitting the top of the water do one gold fish one pellet one gold fish one pellet once you get this to take there first pellet it is really easy and a down hill slope from there then they will be taking them by the hand fulls :)

Mike Lee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
wisconsin
Nice. Thanks for the info guys. I once had a LMB awhile back and i had him eating pellets! That was pretty nice to see. He like pellets more than live foods!...but back to the Pbass, they love hitting top water actually. I would tease them with the live blood worms by putting it just almost touching the top of the water and they would try jumping for it! Some would even actually get it...just today i threw a couple of pellets in. They hit it but spat it back out...should i continue to just feed them pellets? Im thinking about crushing the pellets and mixing it in with my live blood worms if thats even what im suppose to do...lol. Suggestions?

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
It should be fairly easy for you since there is a school.

I drop my pellets in some Blackworm juice n throw it in. The old shoal I had at 2" took a day or 2. I think low number cichla-training is harder.

The link on dieselmack sounds good too (never tried it though)

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Hikari floating carn sticks. Best pellet training food out there. Always worked for me. Another thing is to have other fish in the tank that eat pellets. They can be a big help in training as well.
I agree, Carni-Sticks work the best during the training process.......................

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store