Questions for 1000 gal plywood tank build

mastergt35

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2011
MI
Hey I'm thinking about building a plywood tank with an acrylic glass. I want my dimensions to be 10ft in length, 3 ft in width, and 5ft in height. I just wanted to know if these dimensions are possible and what thickness acrylic do I need. I am worried that the height is too tall for the width or are those dimensions ok. And also what thickness does the plywood need to be.

Thanks,
Nas

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Anything after 2' high starts to become really pricey. It's still possible but the price jumps higher and faster the higher the height.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
5' tall is crazy. You could never clean or scape. Tank that deep I'd go 10x5x3 and then you won't need like 3" acrylic which is going to cost a fortune

mastergt35

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2011
MI
oh I see, how about if I make it 4ft high with a 1inch acrylic glass? would that be good?

mastergt35

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2011
MI
I also noticed that the calculators that you provided are for tanks with all acrylic. Can I use lower thickness acrylic with a plywood tank vs an all acrylic tank? I think that either 1.5 inch for a 4.5 ft high or 2 inch thick for a 5ft high would be sufficient. Do you guys think this is enough or not safe??

Thanks for all your help.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
It depends on the height of the water at it's lowest point of the acrylic an the bracing around the window. you could build a 10' deep tank and get away with 1/2" acrylic if you just wanted a window the top 2', where as if you wanted the window at the bottom of the tank you would need something crazy like 4"+. Thickness is dependent on pressure and that is dependent on depth. SO think about your design and where you want the window and that will determine the thickness.

mastergt35

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2011
MI
Well I was thinking about using 3 to 4 inch bracing around the entire window so about 4 to 4.5 feet of window will show. I want to keep the thickness of the acrylic below 2 in. What do you think is the max height I can make the tank?

thanks again

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
This is a project that I would love to see once you get started.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
Well I was thinking about using 3 to 4 inch bracing around the entire window so about 4 to 4.5 feet of window will show. I want to keep the thickness of the acrylic below 2 in. What do you think is the max height I can make the tank?

thanks again
I think 2inches would work for 48 inches. While a thinner acrylic at that heigh can probably withstand the pressure, acrylic has a tendency to flex allot more then glass does. I once built a tank with 1/2inch acrylic. It was only 16 inches tall, but there was still allot of flex.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store