Moving bed k1 media filtration?

joshs801

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
utah
Anyone seen or heard of this stuff or currently use it ..

And this may be a noobie question but this will eliminate ammonia and nitrites? ,.. will it remove nitrates?
and if this does help with nitrates and supposed to be better then bio balls or non moving bio media
How much should i use for a 350 gallon tank ? because this is what i was thinking for a DIY project and it will contain 3 gallons worth of this k1 media in one of the 5 gallon buckets and on the other side will be finewater polishing pads and carbon before going back into the tank and also on the side with the k1 i will have a way of putting and air fixture in their for a 5 inch air disc

Anyone's advise or suggestions to maybe make this a really good 1'st try, would be greatly appritiated

Or just any overall comments to this subject

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Google moving bed filter or Nexus filters.

Ozkar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I use a moving bed biofilter on my big tank (3000 gallons).
Removes:
Ammonia - yes
Nitrite - yes
Nitrate - no

I think the main advantage of the moving bed biofilter is that the constant stirring of the media keeps it clean.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Vamptrev I know has done a lot with k1 and bio reactors, essentially what you are planning. I actually like the look of some I've seen in tanks, sounds like it works quite well, since the constant movement keeps it clean and the old dead bb falls off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store