fish protective coating

Liquidplants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
Long Island
Do any of you know of a coating I could put over an item before I put it in a freshwater tank to prevent material leaching?

For instance if I put an actual skull or a broken LCD monitor in a fish tank.

My first instinct is to spray the objects with a urethane or something a few times for a generous coating.

Any ideas?
~LiquiD PlantS~

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
I would not put a broken LCD liquid crystal display in my fish tank with fish. An LCD has two sheets of polarizing material with a liquid crystal solution between them if the screen is cracked or broke I don't know what the solution will do to the fish. Even if it isn't broke I would not take a chance with it in my tank. Even the solder connections could leach into the tank. Real bones/skull ,ceramic items, rocks, can be boiled to kill any baddies on it.

As far as the Urethane, I don't know enough about it if it is fish safe or not.

I just read they use polyurethane for making custom aquarium backgrounds by spraying it or applying it to the foam.
And some guys coat their logs with it.
Also wooden canopies get a coating so no water damages it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; There was a short lived TV show about a place that made high dollar tank setups. It may have been called "tanked". I recll that on some episodes they coated objects with a clear coating. I do not recall what it was.

Liquidplants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
Long Island
Ruddybop, I would never put a LCD in a fishtank without being encased in something to prevent leaching. My question was, is there something I can coat things with that would make it aquarium safe regardless of what I put it on.

Fiberglass comes to mind also...

Thanks SkJl47, i'll do some research about that TV show, or maybe give them a call.

~LiquiD~

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store