PDA

View Full Version : Timor and ackie monitor care!!! NEED ANSWERS!

lix.ma14
12-03-2011, 5:01 PM
I am looking to get a small monitor in the pet expo but all my research is all mumbo jumboed! LOLS. Its so confusing. First i did research and I watched ackie and timor monitor care on Youtube. People here said that timors needed a foot of substate but the vidoes don't show that much substate. Also some people say this sized tank is good but some don't!!!!! OK, what is the IDEAL MINIMUM SIZED TANK FOR THEM (DIMENTIONS) andthe PRICING FOR THIS MONITOR HOBBY. I have a 30 gallon and people only said that it wouldn't fit a enough substate. It never said the Timors needed that much subrate in any timor car videos!!Ignore the substate shenanigans and would a a timor idealy live in a 36 times 12 times 12 tank for life?? I know a ackie can't because of the substrate problem!:p
any ways how much would a small monitor sized tank cost without the stand??

I'm not trying to be annoying but I just want a job life for a Monitor IF i keep one.

A. gigas
12-03-2011, 6:52 PM
I am looking to get a small monitor in the pet expo but all my research is all mumbo jumboed! LOLS. Its so confusing. First i did research and I watched ackie and timor monitor care on Youtube. People here said that timors needed a foot of substate but the vidoes don't show that much substate. Also some people say this sized tank is good but some don't!!!!! OK, what is the IDEAL MINIMUM SIZED TANK FOR THEM (DIMENTIONS) andthe PRICING FOR THIS MONITOR HOBBY. I have a 30 gallon and people only said that it wouldn't fit a enough substate. It never said the Timors needed that much subrate in any timor car videos!!Ignore the substate shenanigans and would a a timor idealy live in a 36 times 12 times 12 tank for life?? I know a ackie can't because of the substrate problem!:p
any ways how much would a small monitor sized tank cost without the stand??

I'm not trying to be annoying but I just want a job life for a Monitor IF i keep one.I'm going to do my best to understand what you said, bear with me if I read anything wrong...

That 30 gallon tank will NOT support ANY species of monitor lizard for life.

Timors are arboreal, they do not require deep substrate, and no one said they did. Timor Monitors should have a cage about 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft according to what I have heard. Lots of stuff for climbing.

Ackie monitors need the deep substrate, and a much more desert-like environment (but still humid) they need a cage about 4 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft as adults.

You really won't find any good monitor enclosures for sale, you will probably have to either build your own or have someone build one for you.

Wiggles92
12-03-2011, 7:23 PM
I'm going to do my best to understand what you said, bear with me if I read anything wrong...

That 30 gallon tank will NOT support ANY species of monitor lizard for life.

Timors are arboreal, they do not require deep substrate, and no one said they did. Timor Monitors should have a cage about 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft according to what I have heard. Lots of stuff for climbing.

Ackie monitors need the deep substrate, and a much more desert-like environment (but still humid) they need a cage about 4 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft as adults.

You really won't find any good monitor enclosures for sale, you will probably have to either build your own or have someone build one for you.

x2.

cichlid_fever
12-03-2011, 7:44 PM
I never said that Timors need deep substrate,ackies do!Im just trying to help you,thats all!Varanus are the most mistreated animals in the trade. Savanah's are the top #1......As others are pointing things out to you, the same things i'm trying to explain.Find out if some of them people on youtube still have there monitors & for how long did they have them.Not all,has had this occur,but it happens, a lot!!Have you any experience with reptiles?Monitors are not beginner reptiles.Im not trying to put you down, but please do some more research...http://repticzone.com/,http://www.varanus.net/.Here some sites that have quite a monitor community.Look i wish you & your choices the best!!
No fish tank is proper for a reptile,period. You'll need to build a costume enclosure for them...Just because they have jails for humans,that doesn't mean that we should trap them in tight quarters.Would you like to live in your room all day? See thats what you'll need to figure out...On one of my other posts i got a 4x3x3 foot enclosure that i built,it's gonna home two timors hatchlings,starting Tuesday,by Febuary next year there enclosure will be 4'wide x7'tall x3 wide.It huge to my fiance's standards but to the animals requirements,it's not,so i must upgrade.There not that pricey to build.The glass doors are the most expensive part.

lix.ma14
12-03-2011, 8:55 PM
I never said that Timors need deep substrate,ackies do!Im just trying to help you,thats all!Varanus are the most mistreated animals in the trade. Savanah's are the top #1......As others are pointing things out to you, the same things i'm trying to explain.Find out if some of them people on youtube still have there monitors & for how long did they have them.Not all,has had this occur,but it happens, a lot!!Have you any experience with reptiles?Monitors are not beginner reptiles.Im not trying to put you down, but please do some more research...http://repticzone.com/,http://www.varanus.net/.Here some sites that have quite a monitor community.Look i wish you & your choices the best!!
No fish tank is proper for a reptile,period. You'll need to build a costume enclosure for them...Just because they have jails for humans,that doesn't mean that we should trap them in tight quarters.Would you like to live in your room all day? See thats what you'll need to figure out...On one of my other posts i got a 4x3x3 foot enclosure that i built,it's gonna home two timors hatchlings,starting Tuesday,by Febuary next year there enclosure will be 4'wide x7'tall x3 wide.It huge to my fiance's standards but to the animals requirements,it's not,so i must upgrade.There not that pricey to build.The glass doors are the most expensive part.

ya thanks. would a 2 times 2 times 3 (or 4) hold a timor for life????? do monitors die easily for reptile noobs?? don't wanna waste 300 bux.

lix.ma14
12-03-2011, 8:59 PM
can you trust a monitor breeder for hi/her suggestions in tank size??? LOLS

cichlid_fever
12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
can you trust a monitor breeder for hi/her suggestions in tank size??? LOLS
What does he/her keep theres in? How long have they ben breeding? I figure for a single timor a 6' tall x 4' length x 3' width. Make sure he has plenty climbing room.Trees,branches,you can even cover the walls with coconut fiber. Humidity is a must & a basking spot from 120f to 150f.Plenty of vegetation.Timor are very shy,unlike ackies that are more interactive with you. Don't over power them,they are very smart for reptiles & never forget.They study there surroundings,it's funny to watch. But your key is food,monitors that are kept correctly are all ways hungry. Lol. If he's nor kept correctly kiss your 300$ good bye!!!

A. gigas
12-03-2011, 10:36 PM
can you trust a monitor breeder for hi/her suggestions in tank size??? LOLSDepends on which one you're talking to.. Remember most of them are just out to make money, no matter how much they may tell you otherwise. Their objective is to sell you the animal, and if that means exaggerating the simplicity of care, chances are they would do it. Unless you have lots of evidence that they're good people, don't trust them, and even then be careful putting trust in them.

lix.ma14
12-04-2011, 1:17 AM
roughly how much would a proper monitor tank cost me with no stand??? plus lights, decor etc??? a ackie or a timor setup????

Wiggles92
12-04-2011, 1:48 AM
roughly how much would a proper monitor tank cost me with no stand??? plus lights, decor etc??? a ackie or a timor setup????

It really depends on the cost of wood in your area; it can vary quite a bit from region to region. If I had to give you a ballpark amount, then I'd go with $400 including the cost of wood, paint, screws/nails, glass (can be very expensive), screening material, and other items.

Honestly, you're not going to be able to buy a pre-made cage or aquarium that will meet the monitors needs while being cheaper than building your own enclosure for it.

A. gigas
12-04-2011, 2:08 AM
ya thanks. would a 2 times 2 times 3 (or 4) hold a timor for life????? do monitors die easily for reptile noobs?? don't wanna waste 300 bux.Did you even read my first comment?? NO, that size tank will NOT hold a Timor for life. What I said was NOT "This is nice but it doesn't need to be this big, you could have it smaller." What I said was "The tank must be AT LEAST 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft, it CAN NOT be any smaller.

Yes, Monitors die very easily if they are not taken care of exactly right. If you have never had any reptile before, a monitor is WAY too advanced. Get a Leopard Gecko or something like that. They are cheaper, easier to keep, and can be kept in a much smaller cage.

cichlid_fever
12-04-2011, 8:45 AM
Come on seriously!!!...:swear:.Do some intense research for a couple months before you dive head on to this & regret it!!!!I've have ball pythons,leopard & crested geckos,skinks & tegus.Studied monitors for months ,then decided to purchase an ackie.I had put him in a 75g with 4" of substrate.I thought no biggy, the bigger enclosure will be done soon on a budget!! Guess what!?I went way over budget & before the enclosure was done, i was an ackie short to fill it with!!! Unless you wanna become like this fella,with a huge empty enclosure & no reptile go ahead!!!Im not proud to admit this,but i've learned from my mistakes & am trying to help you to prevent this,thats all!!!!

lix.ma14
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Did you even read my first comment?? NO, that size tank will NOT hold a Timor for life. What I said was NOT "This is nice but it doesn't need to be this big, you could have it smaller." What I said was "The tank must be AT LEAST 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft, it CAN NOT be any smaller.

Yes, Monitors die very easily if they are not taken care of exactly right. If you have never had any reptile before, a monitor is WAY too advanced. Get a Leopard Gecko or something like that. They are cheaper, easier to keep, and can be kept in a much smaller cage.

don't Timors grow to about a feet??? i've researched that ackies only need a 3 times 1.5 times 1.5 for life is that true??

lix.ma14
12-04-2011, 11:56 AM
ok i'll forget about about the timors LOLS

cichlid_fever
12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
You could house an ackie in there ,but it's still on the small side for them.A 5 foot long,2.5 foot wide,3 feet tall.A foot out of the height u have to give them.Substrate 3/4 topsoil, 1/4 play sand.The substrate is because they are borrowers,they dig to feel secure ,nest & to help shedding!!You must mix the substrate well & add water until it sticks,to be able to not collapse on there borrows!!Not muddy,please!!Also there should be a warm side & cool side in the tank,Cool side no less then 80f at night in the higher 80's in the day. Basking spot should go from 120f up to 15f. Some ackies grow up to 2. 1'2 feet long would you like to be in a room where u couldn't turn around?See what im trying to get.The more space the better & healthier the monitor will grow,different temperatures & humidity levels he can choose from! Not alone the room he'll have to exercise & to do acrobats. Lol There fun to watch in proper settings & can be very rewarding as long as you DO IT RIGHT!!!That's all like anything else proper care healthy animal,poor care....DEAD ANIMAL!!!:hitting:

A. gigas
12-04-2011, 1:32 PM
don't Timors grow to about a feet??? i've researched that ackies only need a 3 times 1.5 times 1.5 for life is that true??No, they can grow over two feet, three feet according to some people.

That size cage could maybe work for a very small female ackie. Problem is, you can't really tell the sex on them, or whether they've got genes that will make them grow bigger or smaller than average. The MINIMUM I would ever put an ackie in would be 4 by 2 by 2 with 8 to 12 inches of substrate.

paul112
12-04-2011, 5:00 PM
Try a different species of lizard. Monitors are not for small enclosures or restrictive budgets. The cost of the animal is one thing, but most monitors require a custom cage, which can cost hundreds, and cost a lot to feed compared to pretty much any other reptile.

Best,
Paul

A. gigas
12-04-2011, 8:49 PM
^This.

cichlid_fever
12-04-2011, 9:04 PM
This is a 4x3x3 its goona house 2 timors for 3 months then it will be 7'tall x 4'long x 3'wide & this is still on the small side for them!I thought it would 250$ to build it,with out buying plywood i've spent 400$.Most of the materials i had laying around.They eat like lil pigs.Sorry but no monitors are for anyone with tight budgets.I hope i'm not offending you, we're just looking out for you!!Your wallet & these reptiles.

lix.ma14
12-04-2011, 9:32 PM
This is a 4x3x3 its goona house 2 timors for 3 months then it will be 7'tall x 4'long x 3'wide & this is still on the small side for them!I thought it would 250$ to build it,with out buying plywood i've spent 400$.Most of the materials i had laying around.They eat like lil pigs.Sorry but no monitors are for anyone with tight budgets.I hope i'm not offending you, we're just looking out for you!!Your wallet & these reptiles.

LOLS thanks. A rich 14 year old?? . What if a bought a adult ackie monitor of 10 inches??
I went to an expo and I saw a breeding pair of so called "fully matured red ackies (i think)" that was roughly 10 inches???? it was around 1200 bucks though!!!!!!! dang.

lix.ma14
12-04-2011, 9:33 PM
No, they can grow over two feet, three feet according to some people.

That size cage could maybe work for a very small female ackie. Problem is, you can't really tell the sex on them, or whether they've got genes that will make them grow bigger or smaller than average. The MINIMUM I would ever put an ackie in would be 4 by 2 by 2 with 8 to 12 inches of substrate.

wouldn't there be experts to know the sex??

latshki
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Let me lay this out for you in point form, and I have kept ackies before, have been keeping reptiles for 5 years and have ranged in animals from geckos to skinks to tortoises.
DO NOT SKIM THIS, READ IT ALL!!!
- fish tanks are a NO go for ANY monitor of ANY kind no matter what the size
- don't get the biggest animal you can fit in the smallest tank, there is no point in cramping a poor animal just because you want this cool animal and can't afford the tank it really needs
- get some experience with reptiles first and THEN think about moving into monitors, cresties and beardies are amazing animals and even though Ive kept some more advanced species I still like these guys more
- monitors eat A LOT and your in canada as am I, feeders are harder to get and an ackie will easily eat 30 bucks of crickets very fast especially if you don't buy in bulk
- do your own research and stop asking repetitive questions, you'll only piss people off, and stop listening to only the things that you want to hear!
- your in canada so prices you see online will usually be much lower as it is in the states so expect to pay more
this is all information that has been tried and trued by me, I was once like you but now Ive grown into what I consider a semi knowledgeable keeper, you have a long way to go young one

one more tip, work on your grammar/spelling you will make friends much more easy

here are a few species that will not break the bank, are relatively easy to care for, fairly cheap, and can be cared for by products found in pet stores
Bearded Dragon, Blue Tongue Skink, Leopard Gecko, African Fat Tailed Gecko, Gargoyle Gecko, Crested Gecko, Berber Skink, Uromastyx, Sudan Plated Lizard, Yellow Throated Plated Lizard (these two have personalities VERY similar to ackies)

coura
12-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Plus do real research from reliable sources, like anapsid.org and varanus.net. Seeing videos on youtube hardly counts as any research at all.