CUTTING an Acrylic Tank in HALF!

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
Yup, exactly what it says..

Ive got a free acrylic tank thats 72 x 24 x 24 @ 1" thick and I want to convert it into a rimless frag tank.

Is cutting 1" THICK acrylic possible? Would a guide and router do the job? Or is this just completely crazy?

CutFRAG.jpg

CutFRAG.jpg

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I can't answer the question your asking. BUT I can say their is absolutely no way that you could talk me into cutting that tank down. I might sell it and buy what I really want and pocket the profits. But I'd never cut that down.

Mike

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
A router and a straight-edge would work well, but even a skill saw would do it.

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
Do you have experience doing this? Would imagine skillsaw causing lots vibration, would that effect bond?

But routing then cleaning up with straight edge sounds right

Dark SSide

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2010
Toledo, OH
I do not know from experience but from what I understand about acrylic the top of the tank is very, very important part of the tank, structurally. I think it could be done, but the acrylic would have to be extremely thick to prevent bowing, and eventually structural failure. 1" is very thick for a 180g tank though if cut short enough it might work.

The tank looks like it is in good shape why not sell it and buy a rimless frag tank that was designed to be that way?

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
What kind of routing bit would you use for a 1" thick piece and would I have to dissassemble it or just go to town using the guide

crobles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Houston TX
I am thinking about selling it, but it does have scratches that need to be buffed out b4 doing so..

Not sure how much I could get for the tank alone, but I need the stand and frag tanks dont come as cheap as routing blades.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
A router would be fine and should cut through it. I have used a router to cut acrylic of different thickness before (depends on the piece I have), the only issue I had was it was hard for me to keep it straight. I could cut it but I had trouble keeping it perfectly straight (the pieces I was cutting were meant for practice and were scrap we got for free). Then again I am not a tool person and I would not say that I know what I am doing but I would test it out on a scrap piece first if you can get one so you get used to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store