Lots of fin nipping going on

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
Hey guys sorry for all the threads but I get worried quick. One of my bass is growing quicker than the other. He has always been a tiny bit bigger and the boss of the tank, but never showed aggression towards the other bass.

For the last 2 days Ive been seeing him nip the fins of the other one when ever he gets a chance i feel like. They always swim together 90% of the time. But when they do split up big guy will shoot from one side of the tank to the other and snap at little guys fins. I noticed a little split in the little ones fin, I just dont want this to get worse and find him dead.

At first it looked like they were playing because both would do it to eachother and never actually touch the other one. But now big guy is getting pissed.

They use the same hiding spot most of the time, which is stacked rocks so they have more than one spot to chill. Maybe more hiding spot would help?

Just seeing how you guys handled this problem. Thanks so much as always.

Rob

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
my orinos use to do the samething until i put them into a bigger tank..how big of tank do u have them and how ig are they? young cichla usally fight time to time..

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
They're 4in and in a 75 for now. So thats prolly it.

Ive just heard of people waking up to a beat up fish stuck in their filter. I love these guys way to much to handle that lol.

joshs801

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
utah
I would not put to much thought into it these are very territorial fish and will have a pecking order and there will be a bully of the tank what you can do to get this to calm down is add more bass if you have the space or add some flagtails or silver dollars or some bigger bala sharks this will help take the aggression down in the tank but i would not so much worrie yourself about it.... it happens with these fish

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
Thanks guys, appretiate it.

Ive been trying to bulk up the other bass to get him the same size, but the bigger one usually gets his food first and steals all of it. So feeding can be tricky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store