orino id please!

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
hi guys, i don't know much about the different kinds of orinos so i need help identifying these two guys (pair). Let me know what you think! thanks!! the first pic is the male, and the second is the female. i noticed their occelates are a tad bit different so im thinking maybe these two are of different strains of orino? i don't know, pls educate me, thanks again!
DSC_1986.JPGDSC_1959.JPG

DSC_1986.JPG

DSC_1959.JPG

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
No they're both the same species I can tell you that. But as for where the come from is a mystery to me. I have ideas, but I'm not a 100% sure to be honest.

I wanna say Rio Meta, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.
Your best bet is to ask Hulon, he loves his orinos lol

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
there are different types of orinos but its almost impossible to know exactly wat strain u have. unless u get them from a reputable vendor and they tell u the collection point. EVen thing fish from the same collection point will vary.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Pretty much no way to know without the collector letting you know where they were collected ..Saying that those are very nice for sure and have not seen any with that nice round Occelletes in a long time...

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
thanks guys! yeah i have to do some more research and backtrack to two and a half years ago, hopefully the one who sold these orinos still remember where he imported them from. the only thing i remember was that these guys were ordered from an importer in Germany, but that is too vague an information as of the moment.

Pretty much no way to know without the collector letting you know where they were collected ..Saying that those are very nice for sure and have not seen any with that nice round Occelletes in a long time...
Thanks HULON, on another note, these guys have been flirting with each other for bout a week now. flaring fins and soft bites and sometimes cleaning off the clay pot that's inside the tank. but still, no eggs.. they haven't bred yet so im hoping for a first... they are about 14-16 inchers... Have you ever bred orinos before? any tips?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
thanks guys! yeah i have to do some more research and backtrack to two and a half years ago, hopefully the one who sold these orinos still remember where he imported them from. the only thing i remember was that these guys were ordered from an importer in Germany, but that is too vague an information as of the moment.

Thanks HULON, on another note, these guys have been flirting with each other for bout a week now. flaring fins and soft bites and sometimes cleaning off the clay pot that's inside the tank. but still, no eggs.. they haven't bred yet so im hoping for a first... they are about 14-16 inchers... Have you ever bred orinos before? any tips?
My Orino's are the same age as yours i get the flirting and cleaning an area weather it be a nice rock or in the sand But nothing yet as far as eggs so there must be some truth in the three year mark for age with orino...If they Came from Germany Hopefully they came from Michael Boettner for ya the posability Of Rio Negro is there for ya then !!

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
My Orino's are the same age as yours i get the flirting and cleaning an area weather it be a nice rock or in the sand But nothing yet as far as eggs so there must be some truth in the three year mark for age with orino...If they Came from Germany Hopefully they came from Michael Boettner for ya the posability Of Rio Negro is there for ya then !!
I was thinking RN as well. But there is no way to be for sure. They are awesome. Congrats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store