New Kelberi Male/Female?

m_class2g

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I just got my first pbass. 2 kelberis. i was told they are both males. i just want to know how do you tell with cichlas!? asking the experts on this subforum!they are about 12 inch and 11 inch.i have to say im hooked onto cichlas! its fun watching them eat hikari food sticks!thanks!View attachment 726108View attachment 726109View attachment 726110

m_class2g

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the input! How does 1 have more black spots than the other? Normal?

m_class2g

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
well i guess i have to grow them out a few more inches to see who grows the kok lol

m_class2g

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
ifi ts male and male. would they fight when bigger!? like most other large cichlids?

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
I am sorry but you can not tell 100% by just a picture male or female sorry dont care who you are its not possible unless it is very distinct male with a huge kok on the head but by the looks of this picture it is anyone "guess" venting is the best way to get 100% accurate
it is true that u wont be 100% accurate without venting. But most of the time u can tell by the anal fin if the fish are mature enough. The males will have a clearly extended anal fin just like the one on the left. its a pretty good bet on it and its wayyyy less invasive than catching the fish and actually flipping it over but of course there are other factors u have to consider too not just the extended anal fin. OP if u really really need to know just vent them. just fyi joshs801 some people can actually tell male female very accurately :) On numerous occasions i have asked a fellow member to sex a couple of pbass just by anal fins that i were interested in buying for my used to be breeding project before i even put time into meeting the seller. And i wen i actually vented the fishes that i purchased they turned out to be the sex he had said they wud most likely be. and this wasnt a one time thing either :)....its all good though there should be no fight over something like tis lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store