Why some monoculus look nice and some not?

bezza83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Ashford kent united kingdom
My monoculus are around 7 to 8 inches and display their best colours and their top fin goes black like true monoculus when they flare their gills and chase each other. All other times theylook a dull colour really.

My questions are 1) Is there a size when their colours come out more?

2) Will they hold their colours longer?

I see so many beautiful monoculus on this forum with bright yellows that seem to always hold these colours i'm worried mine will stay a washed out one most of the time. Thanks for any input.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
I would like to know the answer too. My Monos are about 3" now and looks pretty dull. The big Monos I see on this forum are awesome. When will my fish be like that? At what length?

joshs801

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
utah
they will really start getting awesome color around 8-12 inches so you have quite the wait as far as them looking dull.... you may not like peacock bass lol they should be exciting for you and they will get better and better looking as they grow i have an ocell from guyana that was pretty ugly as a juvi but now he is hands down one of my most favorite fish , give it some time you have a long time with those bass like idk 10-20 years lol And you will get into it deeper and deeper and deeper lol ...................... enjoy and be safe :) merry Christmas

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
As they get bigger their color gets better and better. Wild bass tend to look better than the farm bred. It also comes down to what their staple diet is, water parameters, and the aggression in the tank.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
As they get bigger their color gets better and better. Wild bass tend to look better than the farm bred. It also comes down to what their staple diet is, water parameters, and the aggression in the tank.
Thanks for the info. More aggression means better colors or is it the other way around?

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
Aggression seems to bring out the color. Excitement also brings out the color, AKA feeding time.

One thing to note is that the fish do change their colors to match the color of their surroundings. I used to have an all light sand bottom and then went to a black substrate. The bass went from always having a bright green color to almost black. I now have many plants in the tank and depending on where in the tank the fish is it can be green, to gold to black in color.

Just my observations.

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento

bezza83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Ashford kent united kingdom
Ok thanks I was waiting till mine got a little bigger and their colours come out before I podt my first pictures. Mine are wild caught and quite rare in the uk so i've been very excited since i managed to pick them up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store