Who said you can't have a planted tank with Large aggressive fish?!

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
Title says it. I have a progression thread in the planted tank section but thought you guys might enjoy seeing a peacock bass in a heavy planted tank. Aside from asthetics the plants use nitrate and keep the tank cleaner with less need for water changes.

Enjoi!

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
looks great, did you put the fish in after the plants established itself? do the fish mess with the plants in anyways?

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
looks great, did you put the fish in after the plants established itself? do the fish mess with the plants in anyways?
is what i was going to ask

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
Fish were in the tank before the plants. Started adding plants when the fish were about 4 inches.

The fish will occasionally uproot a plant here and there. I just replant them. I am careful to keep the tall stem plants along the back wall so there is ample room for the fish.

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
i think your tank looks nice but to me i just don't see the art of datnoids mixed with plants
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I use C02 diffused straight into the canister filter. I keep a powerhead pointed at the water surface to cause a rippling effect for O2 exchange. I just make sure it doesn't splash, that's when C02 gasses out.

I topped the sand with black substrate but the fish just mix it in. For my next tank (300 gallong), I'll be using black substrate for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store