New driftwood + my Pbass = crashed fish with a white spot

UltimateRayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
Rhode island
I am trying to get a picture but its nearly impossible under my circumstances ( light, flash, fish moving etc ). But i recently purchased two piece of driftwood from the pet store. I made sure aquarium use yada yada. I let the wood sit in an empty trash can for 3 days, regularly changing the water ( treated the water ) . My PH is low to begin with, stays around 6, but within minutes of putting the wood in the tank, one of my 3 bass went down into the corner, and now has a white spot right on the center of his eye. Its a cloudy white circle directly over his pupil. I obviously did a lot of work in the tank moving the wood around, and i cleaned the gravel earlier in the day. Is the stress of me being in there and so drastically changing their enviornment enough to cause a crash and white spot? Should I treat with salt etc? Im concerned that seeing I have a lower PH as it is, and driftwood typically reduces your PH more, that I am going to have issues maintaing a stable PH, and is my bass going to recover on his own? Adding the salt increases ph? Am i going to stress the crap out of my bass by adding the salt to a lowering PH, should i add PH up as well? What are some suggestions? Help a brother out. Thanks

UltimateRayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
Rhode island
2011-12-15_16-56-58_891.jpg GOT A PIC

2011-12-15_16-56-58_891.jpg

UltimateRayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
Rhode island
He is no longer on the bottom, he is swimming around, but still white spot. Im assuming he was just stressed out and hit his eye on something in the tank while he was scrambling around?

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
yeah if its a scrape it will heal fast. Just up the wcs

UltimateRayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
Rhode island
I agree, I do believe it was a scrape, I just put two pieces of driftwood in there. He is swimming around and the scrape has already drastically reduced in size ( in a matter of 4 hours ). Ive added some salt just to accomodate for the addition of the drift wood, and figured it wouldnt hurt with his situation and all.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Be careful with your PH that low much lower and your BB can go dormant and cause mini cycles spiking ammonia and nitrite etc...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store