Testing a resealed tank

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
How long do you normally let a tank that has been resealed and cured sit filled with water until you are comfortable that there will not be any leaks?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Most tanks have leaked right away after a reseal if I botched the job. However, a few have started to leak after a few days. I like to leave a tank set up for at least a full day and will leave one longer when practical. A week is likely to be plenty. It often comes down to where the tank is to be set up. In a basement with a drain a leak is just a dissapointing thing. In a room with wood floors or carpet it can be come an expensive thing.

Also keep in mind that new leaks can start when a tank is moved so keep a close watch as it is being filled.

Some on this forum have suggested allowing the silicone to cure for several days before adding water, not just the 24 hours cited on the labels. I intend to go to a longer cure time in the future.

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
This silicone has been curing for almost two weeks now. I've had final exams which saw to a nice long cure time. :)

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Also keep in mind that new leaks can start when a tank is moved so keep a close watch as it is being filled.
Going to drain and move the tank now then refill and retest. Thanks for the heads up.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
When I reseal a tank I let it sit for 2 days then fill it up. Never had one leak after resealing, so I am comfortable as long as it doesn't leak in the first few minutes. If the tank is supported from the bottom while moving, moving it will have no effect on the seals. Think about it. Every new tank is moved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store