my young monos BIG FILES

Steve86

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
Australia
gday all,

i recently took some pics of my bass and a couple of others in my 6 x 2 x 2. they are all still under 5" and growing strong. the tank comprises of 4 Mono bass, a barramundi, a tiger oscar, 2 flagtails, 2 sailfin gibbiceps and 8 clown loach. in about 2 or 3 months i have planned on setting up a 1000gal tank for them all.

the bass have come from 2 different people, the first two are a bit less colourful then the second two. the biggest is about 5" and the smallest is 3". i keep them very well fed on feeders, and a home made beef heart mix. i hope that it keeps them full and the big one doesnt try to eat the smaller one. anyways all is good so far.

the barra is about 5" as well and eats all he can haha. typical barra.

i hope you enjoy my pics!

cheers
steve

031.JPG

032.JPG

097.JPG

091.JPG

070.JPG

068.JPG

067.JPG

064.JPG

063.JPG

062.JPG

050.JPG

048.JPG

041.JPG

036.JPG

035.JPG

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Very nice, keep updating on growth that barramundi is awesome would love to have one. Those are some fat and happy bass, I understand your worries I had a 4inch azul eat a 2.5inch gatf. Expensive meal if you ask me but its my fault I knew better

Steve86

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
Australia
Thank you mate. Yea I've got a feeling that he will start to get to big to keep with the smaller bass if it doesn't go through a few decent growth spurts. I should have chosen one a little bit bigger in size in hindsight. I can always seperate them for a bit if needed. See how we go. The barra is a feed machine that's for sure. Definetly not as quick as the bass but just as hungry haha.

Cheers

fishtician

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
New york
I'm ordering some mono's today, maybe a little smaller, what are youfeeding yours right now?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
They really look nice and healthy. I can see they are eating well.

Steve86

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
Australia
I'm ordering some mono's today, maybe a little smaller, what are youfeeding yours right now?
i think the best idea is to get them eating really well on something simple first, or what they have been grown up on. ie pellets or whichever. then you can keep them healthy while swapping them to your preferred food. i make up a beef heart mix, which has a few other things in it as a staple diet, then also feeders as well. some people say not to feed live fish but thats your own choice. the only reason id be stopping the live feeders is because they became fussy and then the challenge is to get them onto something other then feeders. the beef heart mix has everything they need in it and it they love the taste otherwise they would only take the live feeders. when i first got my barra he was fussy and only ate live feeders, i eventually got him eating the beef heart mix and he has never looked better.
cheers

They really look nice and healthy. I can see they are eating well.
cheers mate, yes they are my pride and joy even from this young age. i just cant wait until they start showing some more colour!

Nice batch
thanks mate, the first two i got arent as colourful as the second 2. i will be interested to see what they turn out into honestly.

has anyone seen a lot of colour difference in the monos? in australia im not exactly sure what types we have, ie wild caught, tank bred or farm bred. so im thinking there is a fair amount of variation in colours. im assuming there wouldnt be too many WC's around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store