payara (vampire tetra) with pBass

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
is it possible to keep a vampire tetra with peacock bass? I'm mostly concerned about the safety of the pBass, not the otherway around. Currently the pBass are around 3" and the vampire is about 5".

Mike King

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Massachusetts
It greatly depends on what type of vampire tetra you have... Armatus, Scomberoides or Vulpinus? realistically depending on your answer the only thing that changes is who is eating who. eventually bigger fish eats smaller fish. If it fits in the mouth it will get eaten.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
I'm not sure what sub category it is (the LFS wouldn't know). It is totally silver color with a black dot at the tail fin. Definitely not red finned. At the current sizes I don't think they can eat each other. Is Payara an aggressive fish?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I don't see the 5 inch tetra eating a 3 inch pbass.

Mike King

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Massachusetts
sounds like you do not have a armatus... if it is a vulpinus your pbass will grow at a much faster pace. the vulpinus is pretty skittish and will not get much food. the pbass will surely reach the size needed to eat your tetra in a short period of time. i would try to keep them separated if at all possible.

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
LFS is a hit or miss with pbass and payara. season also plays a part too.. best to check the classifieds section here on MFK or aquabid.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
my 6 inch armatus killed a 5 inch angelfish and blinded my smaller one....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store