Toronto, Ontario area. wanting to build a "plywood Tank"??? New build design idea

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
I have a build design idea. im interested in trying out, i just dont have the space, im supposed to be getting a tank built shortly. just my shape is a pentagon would be two plywood sides and 3 glass/plex joined on a angle, which is my only concern. but really tempting to try to make it now. but looking to see if anyone in my area is interested in trying out this idea, on a more basic design.

the design is easy if works and could be ordered and shiped, as you cant purchase my steel studs at home depot, ours are structual and you could build it yourself.

i frame custom steel homes, conventionaly framed. i can have all pieces pre-cut and shipped. with the design, and instructions.
would be alot better than using wood, way lighter and alot less material and more solid, as wood shrinks, expands, and does not hold solid, even when screwed together, can shift. and what i feel is causing alot of the leak problems. people are having. with there monster builds.

its a idea. i would like to play with. and hopefuly could help with future builds. kudo's to everyone who has made there own tanks. been inspiring reading about everyones adventures.

so if anyone in the Toronto, Ontario area. pm me if interested.
and ill keep posted on my progress. going to try a small mock up design during the next few weeks at work. and see what i can do with the waterproofing process. i have alot of connections. ill see what i can try to come up with and maybe help with other peoples problems they are having. i think i even have a solution for the corners where people are having problems and using fiberglass to try to fix. but i have no experience and going to see where my flaws in my ideas are.

here are some pics of how i frame houses, and the product i would be using.
aswell as my design could be fully insulated to help keep heat with within reducing heating costs.

let the adventure begin

IMAG0389.jpgIMAG0394.jpgIMAG0652.jpgIMAG0819.jpg

IMAG0819.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
is it cheaper than building a ply tank? probably not.

I'd love to see this go further though because I am in Windsor, Ontario and going to be building a large tank soon. subscribed.

Dieselfool

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Barrie On Canada
is it cheaper than building a ply tank? probably not.

I'd love to see this go further though because I am in Windsor, Ontario and going to be building a large tank soon. subscribed.
+1.
I'm in Barrie and I'll be starting my own plywood build in the spring. So I'll be watching this thread. :popcorn:
Al.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
Could be cheaper, especialy for larger tanks, but with some of the addons i figure i could do. some of those could equal out the price or cost more. but still less labour, so in the end to me my times worth alot more, than trying to save a few $ and taking 3 days longer.

my designs more for the monster size tanks. to make more efficiant and stronger, with less weight, labour, and costs. but i have 3 different idea's already on, heating, efficiency and space saving ( running pipes, wires, ext... ).

i could cut the amount material used in half.
and still be stronger, and i could change the gage of stud used, so instead of loosing 6+ inches of space i could change the 2x6 walls, into 2x4 size, with a thicker gage steel and its still be stonger than a 2x6.

if interested in building let me know. we can work something out, and i can start a design for what you want! more support and plans i have the faster i could make things happen.
im located in Aurora, actualy working in barrie over the holidays, finishing up that house in the pics. lol

just going to be busy few weeks with christmas, im working the holidays and new years. so wont be much free time. spending my time doing alot of drawings. and reading and contacting people on products.

i got the next two days off, so going to try some small mock ups with plywood, and products for joining corners and waterproofing.
just so i can get a idea of whats happening, reading is one thing. actually working with its another. got to start from the ground up.

anyone can post any ideas they have of tanks, any problems they had, or where the leaks usualy end up. let me know. im a good problem solver. :)

Thanks for the support :)

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
does anyone know the max amount of gallons of simple plywood tank set up? ( when you want to start building walls/support around the perimiter of the tank )

my 400g setup will be built like the 1000+ gallon tanks iv seen people build, as a test and idea on how it will all go together. im not worried for mine but just as a guide to know when you need more than just plywood as a wall.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
im going to get started on the framing of my tank hopefully this week. im going over kill on my tank. as so people can see and understand the benefits and possibilities of using my steel over wood.

as well as im building this tank to be assembled and disassembled if needed to move or expand tank size for the future.

i under going some concept ideas and testing at the moment. have yet to figure out the glass joining on angles. at this point. (for my build)

but like i said im trying the extreme with everything with my build to show the versatility of this design process.

and the plan is to be able to engineer the design for people interested in building there own tanks. or even just using the steel instead of wood. as wood and water dont mix. as i can design, and have everything pre cut. and shipped for simplicity, no saws and hours of labor screwing 2x6 together. ( but remember current design is for monster tanks, that need framing not just plywood. )

hoping by years end, that i will have enough experience and builds to help with design ideas, for other people.

currently looking for more people interested in building monster tanks. using my products and designs to build there own projects. ( if interested in the next few months must be from or around toronto, ontario... and if elsewhere i plan to be able to give a few trial runs on DIY builds else where ( for instruction designs and reviews ), and ill ship the designs and product to you. if interested in 6+ months )

pm me, as i like to see ideas, and want to know how you were planning on designing your own tanks.

question for those who build there own monster tanks.
you build the monster tanks your self, for the satisfaction of knowing you did all this yourself?
or is it about costs in the end? or just there is no one that makes glass, custom tanks of theses sizes out there?

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
Tank building has commenced, so far spent 3 days cleaning and organizing my room to fit the new tank, and 20 mins building. plan to spend 30 mins tomorrow, and have 75% of it done. just waiting on product to waterproof the ply wood, then install. and then moving onto the glass, it is going to be ordered by the end of march the latest and most likely professionally installed. as im too scared to join glass on a 45 deg. angle.

was thinking of going acrylic as you can weld the edges together. but my turtle runs along the glass and dont think the acrylic will hold up to his abuse.

sorry for the delay. promotion at work. :) if anyone still in Ontario is looking to do a build talk to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store