new project starting in 2 weeks

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
getting excited to start my plywood tank for breeding. going to build tank first then stand. will have atleast 1k to dump into this more or less wont hurt. so here's my rough idea on it all

tank 60 long 36 deep 24-30 high (one web site said not to go higher than 24 if tank is longer than 48, is this true?)
6 inches of the left side of the tank will be sectioned off for an overflow. i had an idea to build a drawer type acrylic box that i can insert in this, filled with bioballs. from here there will be a hole drilled in bottom. how should i place, or secure an in-tank overflow? the viewing window will not show this part of the tank so i will leave the plywood on the front covering it. what is the minimum coverage the front plywood has to overlap the glass/acrylic?

under tank will be a 55g used as a refugium. i will heavily plant about 30 gallons of this, it will also serve as a growout tank for succesful spawn. on the right/return side i will put my heaters and pump/s. for the most part the only question i have is what gph target i should build the overflows/returnpump for? tank will be 220-300gallons

stand, have not researched this part yet but rough idea is it will be 60-64in long 36-38 deep and around 35-40in tall it would be nice if i could build it to view the planted 30gallon section of the 55. no questions as of yet, but any suggestions?

so here's a basic summary of questions
what gph target i should build the overflows/returnpump/s for? tank will be 220-300gallon
what is the minimum coverage the front plywood has to overlap the glass/acrylic?
how to bond liquir rubber to silicone!??!?! ive seen alot of discusion about this but no real solution/procedure on this. i see there is a product used to buff these bonding area's. should i just go ahead and get that as well?
any suggestions?

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
(one web site said not to go higher than 24 if tank is longer than 48, is this true?)

What reason did they give you for this. Because there are a lot of longer and higher DIY tanks out there.

My glass tank is 72L x 24D x 30H

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
(one web site said not to go higher than 24 if tank is longer than 48, is this true?)

What reason did they give you for this. Because there are a lot of longer and higher DIY tanks out there.

My glass tank is 72L x 24D x 30H
there was no reason given, just stated that its not recomended.

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
yes altough i will use a piece on top that will serve as a lid/bracing. i might go out today and start assembling. i have enough for plywood nails and woodglue atleast. will i be able to build a 6 inch overflow on the left side of the tank and drill a hole on the bottom? what are those pieces they put in the hole called again? ive seen the name here and there but its slipped my mind

bulk heads, what kinda gph do i want to go through my refugium? and what is the matching bulkhead/pipesize i should use?

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
i went to home depot today and the guy didnt know what acx plywood was. i called ahead of time and they said they had it. does it go under another name? i looked around and nothing said acx
i see on thier website they have araucoply acx sanded plywood, will this work?
Adhesive All AraucoPly panels are laid up with phenolic WBP glue which is suitable for exterior use. This glue complies with European standard EN 314. Formaldehyde emission is 0.02 mg/L, which meets E[SUB]1[/SUB] emission regulations.

formaldehyde doesnt sound to safe for fish! lol i need help!!!

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
thanks ross, the home depot near my house has 39 in stock, for 39$ a piece at 3/4 thickness. ill get 7 of those and have plenty left over for the stand (ie inside cabinet floor n such) i guess tomorrow ill start it finaly :)

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
i only got 5 pieces but they cut it for free and dimensions will be 60x30x30. my only questions before assembly of tank is what is minimum coverage of plywood over glass/acrylic required and should i pre-drill the holes before i insert screws to avoid splitting?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Odds are the web site you found was or is referring to the Garf diy plans. You can go much larger if you choose, just build it properly.. this place has the most complete set of giant builds on the web imo.. just do your research here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store