how come my new NLS is being rejected?

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
I have been feeding nls 6mm floating pellets for about 4-5 months with great success, i ran out so I ordered 10mm nls sinking and its flat more like massivoure. Well my cichla have been spitting it and wont take it. Does anyone have a guess why this is? I have been feeding only the new pellets in hopes that they will get used to. This plan has worked in the past for me

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Stick with Floating food.........Sinking makes a mess, plus they can choke on your gravel.........

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
Stick with Floating food.........Sinking makes a mess, plus they can choke on your gravel.........
I have no gravel or sand, but I have a couple cats so I figured if I got sinking food I could keep all the fish fed... plus my bass will usually hit before it even has a chance to sink but then they spit it out. I guess my question is are they spitting it out because its a different size and shape? Shouldn't all nls taste the same?

Azorek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
Florida
Seems like a lot of fish are creatures of habit... worst case scenario if they don't eat after a week just use sinking and floating pellets, you'll make everyone happy.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Massivore is like fish crack. I never have a problem getting fish to eat that or the food sticks. NLS seems to have a different hardness it might help to soak it for a while before feeding.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The 10mm pellets are quite a bit harder than the 6mm pellets. The hardness might be a factor. At least, that is the overall consensus I have come across. Just keep with it, they should warm up to it.

How big are your bass?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store