Baby peacock bass wont eat?

gmann4231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
new york
Hello all-My baby peacock bass won't eat. I bought him at my lfs and ever since I got him he has barely eaten anything. The first day I had him he attempted eating a feeder, but since then has refused all food. I have tried pellets, crushed pellets, krill, and feeders and nothing is working. He is getting skinny and staying towards the top of the tank, making me a bit nervous...any suggestions?thanks-Tyler

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
throw in some tiny guppies about 2 dozen and let him settle..worry about training on pellets later..most fish bought from lfs are hard to train..good luck..

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
how long was the tank running before you put him in it? Are there any other fish in the tank? What is the water temp? When was the last time you did a water change?

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Water parameters need to be spot on. I also agree with trying guppies. I had a temensis that did the same thing and it unfortunately turned out that his throat was malformed, probably from poor conditions before I purchased him. Sometimes buying fish from the lfs isn't the best decision...

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Give him some time to get use to his new surroundings..............Good Luck and post some pic's.

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
damn, sorry for your loss. I've got a baby bass myself and the only thing it'd eat was brine shrimp.

wish I saw this earlier. It's up to use this method (I'd say use it when worst comes to absolute worst!), force food down the fishes throat. I've done this in the pass a couple of times and believed I might've saved those fish's lives. A few others have done this as well.. not the nicest thing to do, but if they're hanging on the line, might as well do what you can!

gmann4231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
new york
Haha funny you say that be cause I actually tried that. Spit out the pellet and feeder I tried. I think he was sick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store