My bass upset me sometimes...

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
Got 3 monos now, 23-27cm, all up and down the glass as I type this... obviously keen on a meal. Dropped about 11 jumbo carnisticks in currently, on several trips.. and the stingray has eaten 10 out of the 11 pellets! t's frustrating to see them obviously hungry, but it's like unless they actually come right up to my hand when I am dropping the food in, or get lucky and cross the foods path, they can't get it or something.Feeding isn't usually a problem or anything... it's just annoying sometimes as now the stingray is full... massive hump, but the bass are up and down the glass hungry! They have eaten 2 times already today, so this isn't a thread about how to get my bass to eat or anything.. just maybe after tips on how to get them more accustomed to different types of food, or to have the eating style of a stingray, who goes nuts the moment food hits the water.The ray eats whitebait / prawn / bloodworms / hikari floating and sinking pellets. The bass eat only hikari pellets. Not saying it's a bad thing.. just been on my mind.edit: random video being uploaded now. Tried to fix up all the errors... it's after work so I may be drinking and smoking...Cheers

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
[video=youtube;qypaZMNZWqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypaZMNZWqg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Just a random video of what I can see from where I am sitting..

warman98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Portugal
Your cichla are fine maybe a little stressed but that's basically it. One of the main issues is that they are alone on the top, this might affect their behavior. Trust me cichla act very differently when they have an arowana swimming above them. So basically I would suggest you add an arowana. But of course it's not because of this that they act like that. You have to re-teach them.
Try and teach them to eat food off the middle of the tank. Get a clamp and wave the food in the middle soon enough they'll learn to eat from there. Because it's pellets maybe add a garlic solution but if they start to eat prawn. Hope I helped you keep us posted.

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
The largest bass was just added 2 days ago, although they have been eating fine. It just feels like they turn their nose up at anything except pellets... and even then, to feed them pellets you have to wait for them to respond to me putting my hand near the glass, or have them get lucky and cross paths with a pellet.

I would be amazed if they ate a piece of raw fish or prawn, even getting them pellets before the ray gobbles them up is very tough. They are obviously very healthy as you can see from the video.. I am just interested in possible getting them to better eat / attack their pellets + move them onto other things like bloodworms and prawns.

Edit: I originally had a Jardini in the tank, gave him to a friend as he was super aggressive. Having 3x Monocs and a Motoro x Pearl ray in the 6x2x2 currently... I was planning to call it quits on fish for this tank.

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
Had the 2 smaller ones together for about 2 months, the biggest one is a new addition. They have always acted the same mostly, they were already on pellets so that was easy.. but to get them to eat it like mentioned I have to get lucky or wait for them to basically come to the feeding cut out and ask for it.

Just interested in perhaps how to get them onto some other foods for their benefit. They eat the odd bloodworm, the stingray gets most of them as is the case with most food. Basically it's just hard to feed the bass well enough without the greedy old stingray getting over fed.

My bass definitely aren't underfed as you can see from the video, still interested in getting them to hit food easier.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
Could it be that they are overfed? I switched from 2 times a day to once a day feeding for my Cichla (7 of them 3"-4"), 1 Silver Aro (7" in a separate tank). I noticed specially the Aro refusing the second meal in the day. There is an improvement in Cichla too of the rate they hit the food. I have read in several places that it is healthy to keep your fish slightly hungry. I think it is applicable to all the animals & humans too.

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
That could be a factor, I will keep it in mind and try reducing their feeds and see what happens. Just odd how they basically beg for food, then it's like when I give in and drop it in.. they all have a laugh at me or something... and not eat it of course.

[video=youtube;_UqutmrMum4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqutmrMum4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Only a brief bass shot in this... pretty funny though... the ray learnt some new technique to eat from the top. when i was trying to feed the bass some pellets then... (the ray ate them).

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Bass are like dogs. They will eat 10x a day if you feed them. I too have large bass...about 16-20in. I feed my bass every other day. If they are lucky i'll feed them more....but generally 3x a week. When you feed them, you should feed em a pellet at a time. My 3 orino's eat everything. They line up where i feed them and i drop a pellet or two to each one...in a line. I have 2 azuls that wont eat just pellets. The eat fish filet or shrimp...i stuff pellets inside the fish. You should be glad they only eat pellets....much easier and it provides all the needed nutrition for a healthy diet.

How often do you do wc's on your tank? ANd what do you have for filtration?

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
Thanks for all the information.

I do 2x 40% water changes a week. Filtration = 2x Eheim 2217's + a Fluval FX5.

I guess I just am mostly unsure why it's such a challenge to actually get them the food, and why they are going crazy up and down the glass begging for food, but sometimes when the pellet is dropped in it's like they ignore it or can't see it. I guess it's just extra tough with the ray.. it's like I only have a set time to hope they get the pellets I am putting in, before the ray eats them all and I stop feeding the tank.

I have basically been feeding them numerous times a day when I feel like it. I work nights and usually feed them around lunch time / around 5pm and also when i get home around midnight + the early hours. So I can definitely cut back feeding... but I never feed to the point they even get much of a gut.. just a nice healthy hump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store