Overly skittish Pbass

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
I have no idea what's going on with my two small pbass. I have them in a grow out tank at the moment but for the past month that i have them. They are extremely skittish and unpredictable. One moment they would come up to the glass to me and then the next few days they would just hide behind the heater. Anyway i can get them to be more active when im around?

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Give them a little time, to get use to there new surroundings, and make sure you feed them in the same spot of the tank, every time you feed them, in order to gain trust...............Good luck and shoot out some pic's.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
yeah that's what i thought to but a month seems long doesn't it? When i first got them, the smaller one of the two would eat infront of me but now it would not.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
When they are small they can be quite skittish. When you have a larger pack of cichla they are much more outgoing.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
thanks guys i will check my ammonia level. also would adding a goldfish or two be a good idea to get them to be more comfortable?

jimboperu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
Lima, Peru
mine were the same but ever since i added a few swordtails of the same size, they became a lot more tranquil and now actually come up to the glass when i feed them

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
Mine also were fairly bad. All I did was add 1 display piece of wood and gave them time. They are now much better.

I didn't want dithers... I personally don't like them for the most part.. I just want to keep the fish I want. So I decided to avoid that option.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
mine's got alot better, they come up to the glass now after i added a goldfish of a bit larger size. I also noticed the packing order has also change a bit. The smaller of my two is more dominant during the day time but during late night, the bigger one is more dominant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store