Pinecone Fish

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Has anyone kept Cleidopus gloriamaris or Monocentris japonica?

Some websites say they are easy to keep. Others say extremely difficult. My LFS says he has been trying to get one in with no luck for quite some time. However, he also warned me that they usually come with decompression issues and there initial survival rate is very low.

Any experiences anyone has had with them would be appreciated.

Looking for info on contradictory things like:

Difficulty in acclimatizing:
Difficulty in care:
Temperature (seems to vary from cool to tropical..):

Also looking for information on:

How long did you have it for:
Tank Mates:
Frequency in actual instances of bioluminesence:
Food:
Growth Rate:
Behavior:

Whatever other information you can add, the better! Thanks!

UnderwaterGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Before I left an aquarium in orlando, they had just gotten in a pinecone fish. It was extremely hard to get it to eat. I hear they don't do well with treatments. We kept it in 75 to 80 degree water. I don't know whether or not it made it out of it's treatments though. It wasn't eating well the entire time I was there, which means yeah they are a pretty hard fish to keep.

Fish Finder

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
Difficulty in acclimatizing: Usualy shouldent be a prob

Difficulty in care: on the scale of 1-5 (1 being inposs to 5 being very easy) there considered a 4)

Temperature (seems to vary from cool to tropical..): Here is where ppl make the bigest mistake these are cold water fish between 60-70 i am not to sure what the exzatct temp for these fish are

Also looking for information on:

How long did you have it for: I see them quite often avaiable from wholesalers and two custimers have cold saltwater tank's. There doing great

Tank Mates: only with other peasefull or mild tankmates or even better in a species tank.

Frequency in actual instances of bioluminesence: Hard to say all fish are different.

Food: grass shrimp, brine shrimp, tiny livebearers and black worms. A chalange to eat frozen but can be done.

Growth Rate: very slow grower

Behavior: peacefull

Price: between $250-$400

I hope the info i gave you is helpfull if you would like to know more feel free to ask or shoot me a pm.

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Thanks for the info! Very helpful! I guess I will have to buy a new tank :)

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
There is a good article about pinecone fish in the October issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I kept a pair after a local shop kept one healthy for a year before deciding to sell it. The shop owner said they were hardy but, didn't do well in a "new" tank. They acted and fed well only in long established setups.
I set up a new 85 gal and loaded it with live rock and several young percula clowns. I let the system run for almost a year before ordering the M. japonica pair. By then, all the live rock was recovered and fully cultured as was the rest of the substrate and refugium of the w/d filter. When the pair arrived, the perculas went back to the shop.
My pair ate within the first hour after being dripped in. They fed on plankton/spirulina gut-loaded young guppies. They didn't touch anything that wasn't alive and moving for 8 months. Then, one would hit frozen bloodworm and mysis (although the mysis were usually chewed and spit out repeatedly). I resolved myself to having to culture several tanks of guppies, endlers, and gambusia just to have sufficient supplies of young to feed the pair.
I sold the pair when my company relocated me. I don't think I'll get them again. Mine stopped bioluminescing after 6 months (for the most part). I'd see the occassional flicker but, once they adjusted to the room's, and live rock lighting, day/night cycle, they slackened off almost entirely from lighting off as they did when I 1st received them. Or, because feeder guppies didn't react to the glow as an attractant caused the pinecones to give up on its use.
Perhaps a windowless room or basement would better suit them in retaining their normal luminescing behavior.

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Just wondering why this thread got moved to Brackish water... As far as I know, they are 100% Marine fish, not Brackish.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Maybe their bioluminescing has something to do with what they eat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store