got a quick question for you cichla heads

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
i have 2 rio meta orinos and im getting 2 more next week. the ones i have will ONLY eat small pieces of market shrimp and PE mysis. they will not eat pellets or flakes or anythin with any real nutrients and will not eat the shrimp if soaked in zeovit. so im thinking of getting an oscar or 2 or another type of hungry eat anythin cichlid that might convince them that pellets are ok to eat.
what do yall think?
i have tried soaking the shrimp in with pellets and all that
right now the pellets i have tried are NLS thera A mini pellets and there 3m regular pellets i think. they are pretty small.
the pbass are about 3in now. i got them when they were a little over an inch.
the 2 im getting next week are frm the same shippment so i think they should be about the same size
any help appreciated

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
Severums are better suited for what you want to do in my opinion. They kind of fumble food around and the bass watch and grab. But the idea will work.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
hmmm i will look n see if i can find any around here
thanks
anything else?

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
Anything that will grow with the bass and doesnt have the mouth that will eat the bass will do. Tin foil barbs do pretty well too. Any south american cichlids will do well. I just like something other than oscars because if the bass dont catch on quick to the pellet, the oscar might get them.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
I agree with cpr-mike, Tin-Foils are a great dither fish, and try feeding them Hikari Carnivore Sticks, that worked with my Rio's............Good luck and shoot out some pix.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
thanks guys. i couldnt find any severums so i got 2 tiny oscars. im gunna give them a week or 2 and see how it goes, maybe i will find something i like better to replace them. the Os are a little smaller than the bass so they should get along ok
but we will see
and houdini, i just took some great pics of them and i will upload after the new year!
its starting to sound like the 2 im getting might be bigger than mine are. dan just told me they ate her pikes lol

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
bump

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
Still won't eat pellets. They are so picky!

sent from my EVO

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
Mine are the same way. Wont eat the market shrimp with smashed up pellets, havent tried the vitachem or what you use but will be trying soon. I would give them some time untill they can eat big pieces of shrimp and you can hide the pellet in there. I do it with my RTCxTSN and my biggest bass. My smaller bass are still to small to eat that big of a piece, and if they see the pellet at all they wont eat it.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
Yea I guess I gotta wait till mine get bigger. It's frustrating how the fish I want to grow won't eat pellets but the lame oscars will eat anything and are growing like crazy :banghead:

sent from my EVO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store