225 Plywood Tank Build

iDRINKbLEACH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hello,

I started my 225 gallon tank build last night with my son. I went to the local family owned lumber shop (much better cuts, key to the project) and bought two sheets of 4 x 8 x 3/4 Birch plywood. had the sheets cut so that I could assemble a 3 ft. x 5 ft. x 2ft tank. Cut out the front leaving a 2 1/2 inch frame for the glass (cost of wood, 3 inch screws and glue: 91.00 usd).

Tomorrow I am going to lay resin (entire interior) and surf cloth (in the corners and edges). Once that cures I will lay down some royal blue brush-able gelcoat.

Last part of the main tank will be the 3/8 inch sheet glass that will be the display panel. I was going to go with 1/2 inch but it looks like over kill.

I ordered a pair of 1 1/2 inch bulkhead from Ebay that will be the exit for the water into the sump. Still haven't planned the sump yet. Hoping to find a cheap 29 gallon or 55 gallon tank to make a wet/dry with (your suggestions are welcome).

This tank will house my arowana and hopefully a pair (male/female) of stingrays.

I also included a picture of the arowana's current home.

Enjoy!

Plywood tank.jpg

Freshwater tank.jpg

Ponddigger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2010
Shreveport, La
Haha I see a lot of builds with cat invasions, happens to me too. And I would go with the 1/2" glass it is more peace of mind and in my opinion not overkill.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Hopefully you will keep us updated with your progress. I always enjoy DIY tank threads.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Looking forward to seeing it come together. Are you doing any more to it structurally? Isn't the back going to bow considerably under the weight of the water? Not trying to flame, just trying to learn :)

iDRINKbLEACH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Miami, Florida
Thanks for the comments.

I feeling the whole 1/2 inch thing also. All the people that have made and used 3/8 have not had a problem. But for an extra 20-30 dollars, you can buy lots $$$$$$ of peace of mind.

I love DIY thread too. I hope I don't disappoint. More will be posted.

With respect to additional support. It will lay on top of a stand. It will have some braces on the top. A true must. I am debating whether to go with a single sheet cut to 3x5 then cut out the access hatches or use the scraps that I have (three pieces about 10 to 12 inches by 3 ft long to brace the top and still have access. I am learning too. Very exciting.

Tomorrow I will post resin and fiberglass shoots baring any rain.

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
That's a nice dimension. Subscribed.

iDRINKbLEACH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!!!

I started out a little bummed out. I thought I had a gallon of resin and I was wrong. I would lose the day I headed to HomeDepot and picked up some 2 X 4's and two boxes of screws. About 96 feet of board, total cost for today was 52.00 (usd). It was a beautiful day outside, 84 degrees with a cool breeze. I cut the wood in about 45 minutes and my son and I put the stand together in about an hour and 20 minutes. My granddaughter came over and slowed things down and we wrapped it up quickly. I an going to add a vertical support on the short sides just to be safe and I have the extra wood.

You will notice in the picture the the is not flush. it is actually 1/2 inch narrower than the tank. When I cover the stand with 1/4 plywood the whole thing will be flush.

I hope to get some resin tomorrow and at least glass the edges.

I do have a question/concern. I am using fiberglass and gelcoat because it is readily accessible for me and affordable. It is also up my comfort level. I am concerned about it cracking if it flexes particularly it it is going to be transported when empty. I plan on adding two threaded rods inside the 3/4 plywood that will brace the top. that should eliminate any flex in the top window frame and buckle or flex in the back panel. In anyone's experience had the combination of fiberglass cloth with resin covered with gelcoat (40-50 mils) cracked or been an ineffective way of waterproofing a plywood tank. Flex is the only advantage that liquid rubber has over gelcoat, but it could be a critical advantage. I just have no experience in that.

Enjoy the pics and I welcome your comments.

ready to cut.jpg
Did I mention that is was 84 degrees today!!!

Wood cut.jpg
Pile of wood handled nicely by my chop saw.

Done for today.jpg
Finished for today. Sorry for chopping the tank off in the picture but I couldn't back up any further. It is very tight in that room for now. Waiting for my daughter to put her stuff in storage before I can finalize tank.

ready to cut.jpg

Wood cut.jpg

Done for today.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store