to make a puffer fish puff

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
A friend of mine just got a couple green spotted puffer fish the other day. She heard somewhere that it is actually good for a puffer fish to puff up every once in a while so their muscles don't get flimsy. The only problem is her puffers aren't scared of anything. So I guess what I'm wondering is how do you scare a puffer fish into puffing up?

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
hey this is only what i heard and the fish isn't mine. all i'm doing is asking a question for a friend. if it isn't good for the puffer to puff up every once in a while just say so. now i'm not trying to be rude but I've had this problem before so if anybody wants to flame on me, fine. I'll be done, with the whole site. Nothing against the moderators because they have always been good to me. I've just been panned on to many times by members of this site.

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
Puffing for a pufferfish is HIGHLY stressfull for the fish and can actually kill it.

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
I know that making it puff up all the time is bad. But I'm not saying that there just gonna walk up to the tank every five minutes and scare the living crap out of eachother. Think about it, in the wild that is what they do to defend themselves so I don't see how making a puffer fish puff up like once a month would kill it.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
It's a bad idea. Especially if they get air in them, so they float and then end up dead.

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
In the wild it is their last line of defense to try and not die. If you want to scare the fish into thinking it might die, and maybe even succeed in killing it, go ahead. It's abuse IMO.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I've never heard of or seen a GSP PUFF... :) Well when they eat LOL

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
IT'S NOT MY FISH. I said in the beginning of this post a friend of mine was wanting to know. She is actually a member of this site, but she had to move so she doesn't have internet right now.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
tell her she's goin to be lucky regardless to see these fish live to full size 6" :) Mine are hitting just over 2" and Myself have not been one of the lucky people to see a full grown GSP :( EVEN with Excellent care and water... Something ALWAYS goes wrong :) Oh Elenor :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store