Mixing cichla?

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I always hear how orino pbass grow slow compared to other pbass and i currently have 10 orino at 4 inches and 4 ocells at 2inches.
I was wondering how long do you guys think it will take for the ocells to get close to the same size as the orinos to where I can keep them in a tank together?

I would like to add that I may not post in the cichla section often but I am in total aww of most of you guys stunning cichla.

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
IMO it just depends. I have two orinos. One a rio negro and one a rio meta. My negro is growing a lot faster than the meta. Ocells grow at your normal mono pace if you ask me. I dont think you will have a problem. Once they are close in size, put them in the same tank and I think the orino will try and keep up as much as possible. It should not be a big deal. I have never had a problem. Orinos are usually aggressive enough that that will make up for the size disadvantage.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
IMG04543-20111112-1818.jpg
I don't think a 2 inch difference is a big issue.....Good luck

IMG04543-20111112-1818.jpg

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I had a feeder in my 560gal that made it into the overflow and grew to about 2'' so I threw it into the growout with the orino's and they took him down right away, I was really afraid for the orino that had the feeder hanging out his mouth for 2 hours but he survived and thats when they were about 3''.

I am also 2 weeks into my 6 week quarinteening of the ocells so I still have 4 weeks before I even think about adding them to the 100gal growout.

I was really just curius on their growth rate.

#1StuNNA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Cali
I'd say its somewhat hard to tell, because it depends on how often you feed them, what you feed them. And also, the dispersion of food, ie, who gets more food then the other one. last but not least, each fish is different, no one fish is the same even though they're same species. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store