Had a horrible New Years. Please help.

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
My girlfriend and I came home last night at 3am to one of our bass on the floor. I guess I forgot to put the cover back on the tank. After scooping him up I realized he was dry as a bone. Thought he would never make it so I was thinking of just pitching him. But I put him straight into the tank and started reviving him. Amazingly he started breathing and after about an hour of revival he swam under his own power.

I am so happy that one of my buddies didnt die. My girlfriend was crying her eyes out.

So the question for you guys is what should I do for him to help him out. His fins look all messed up like they are missing the webbing on the end of them. And it looks like his slime coat is all messed up, he has white splotches all over him and you can see where the coating has come off.

Please help guys I want him to bounce back from this asap. Thank you so much.

Happy New Year

Rob

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I say add some salt and do frequent water changes. Keep that water as clean as possible and give him time. Good luck.

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
I just cleaned the tank yesterday really well, and added salt before he decided to commit suicide. So I dont really want to add more or do a water change cause Im sure itll stress him more. Maybe tomorrow I will if he is still doing good.

I am so amazed he is alive, who knows how long he was sitting on the ground. He seems ok now, just a little sluggish but hes still hanging out with his other buddies in their normal spot. Im just worried cause he doesnt look to good, but im pretty confident he'll pull through. Just want him to heal quickly and wondering if there was any treatment for the slime coat that you guys would recomend.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Melafix will have those fins looking good in no time...............Good luck.

PIE.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
Amazing he survived. Hope he recovers. Like others have stated, keep the water and just be patient with him. Make sure he is relaxed and calm.

One of my worries would be that he could catch a disease with his slime coat inquired like that.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Amazing he survived. Hope he recovers. Like others have stated, keep the water and just be patient with him. Make sure he is relaxed and calm.

One of my worries would be that he could catch a disease with his slime coat inquired like that.
PIE. is right about the lost slime coat. Watch the fish for signs of fungus and treat mildly if it gets the fungus.

The fish would recover better if kept alone in a quarantine tank if you have one.

Best wishes for a recovery.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
good luck, i had this happen. i got the fish back in his aquarium, and he looked VERY motley and ugly for a long time, but he eventually healed and i can't even tell which of the Temensis it was now.. clean water, a little salt, and melafix if you see any sign of disease or infection in the wounds.

R32flow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Richmond, VA
Thanks guys, he seems to be getting worse. He looks bloated and is having alot of trouble staying up straight. Hes laying on my driftwood breathing really heavy with his tail straight up.

He was breathing alot better earlier and wasnt bloated. Im worried he caught something or his swim blatter is going nuts.

And ideas would be great, I really hope he can pull through this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store