8'x4'x2' DIY Plywood - Help!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Hey guys, decided to go the plywood route and since so many of you on here have done it and done a good job I am hoping that you can help me.

I have no idea what I am doing. I am decently handy and have good tools. I do not doubt that I am capable.

I just need some help getting rolling. What all do I need - what do I need to do to get ready for this build.

For filtration I have a large external pump - so we can also talk about that at somepoint.

Again, this will be my tank for large coldwater oddballs.

Thanks - looking forward to building this thing with the help of mfk.

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Never built one but some tips from my experience with plywood, its obvious and Im sure you know it but these are some of the most important things Ive found.
1. Use the highest quality wood you can find. Its important for it to be perfectly straight and the lack of knots will save you a lot of work.
2. Make sure cuts are straight, even a 1/16 can be a problem.
3. Predrill

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
1. 3/4" thick good quality exterior plywood as mentioned above (regular not treated).
2. Waterproof wood glue
3. Deck screws
4. Countersink bit
5. Measure twice cut once:)

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
little - have you made a tank before?

If anyone has a very detailed build that might help me, you can post a link here. There are tons of you out there, dont be shy, come post something! Help a guy out!

Some people line with epoxy, and others with marine paint, and others yet with liquid pond liner - what is best? Any opinions/pro cons?

Thanks

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Fiberglass and epoxy resin may be a pain to apply but it seams to have the best results when sealing compared to other products in various builds here. At the very least fiberglass cloth in the corners and all seams will save you some trouble

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
little - have you made a tank before?

If anyone has a very detailed build that might help me, you can post a link here. There are tons of you out there, dont be shy, come post something! Help a guy out!

Some people line with epoxy, and others with marine paint, and others yet with liquid pond liner - what is best? Any opinions/pro cons?

Thanks
Not very detailed but might help a bit. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?421990-280g-Plywood-Tank-Build&highlight=

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Thanks for the links guys...Im going to go and read them now, then post back with more questions.

No one can get me a starting list of supplies? You know the dimensions there must be some things that I am going to need no matter what.

I really need assistance, as I have no idea what I am doing, this thread might become a good resource for everyone who is starting from nothing and just needs to build a big tank for monster fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store