Kelberi questions

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
hi, a friend of mine has three different kelberis all bought from different suppliers at different points in time. the first kelberi is a small one about 4 inches. he picked them out of a group of kelbs labeled f1 bahias, this particular fish was the only one with a bright goldish body, the rest were olive green in color, so he got this because it was different from the rest.... when the fish was brought home we noticed something different from normal kelbs, or peacocks for that matter. this fish does not school with the rest and remains still most of the time. im sure he has eaten some feeders in the tank because he has been at my friends for a month now.. but im not sure if this kelberi has an eye problem or some sorts. this is the pic of the kelberi, his color has not changed at all. notice the eyeball is kind of small and irregular from the norm. can anyone help me diagnose this kelb?
DSC_0140.JPGDSC_0145.JPGDSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
next up are two other kelberis, the smaller one is about 7-8 inches and the larger one about 9-10, the smaller one was labeled wild caught and the larger one is f1 golden bahia.
DSC_0211.JPGDSC_0219.JPG

My questions are:
1. how come the f1 golden bahia seem to have lost his occelate on the tail?
2. can anyone id the smaller bass? we are not sure if it is really a kelb or not because comparing both these fish, the spots on the fins are there on just one fish, and the tail design of both fish are totally different from one another.
3. are there different kinds of kelberis? what is the difference between wc, bahia, golden bahia, etc varieties? some of the kelberis on the net have no bars at all with golden black speckles, some have bars with speckles.. can anyone give share their expertise on the matter? thanks everyone!

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
wc is a wild caught kelberi. Kelberi are caught in a number of diff locations. An f1 bahia is an offspring from a pair of wc kelberi from that location. The two wc kelberi produce f1 offspring. If you were to have 2 f1's make fry the fry would then be f2's and so on. So the wc kelberi your friend has is from the wild....therefore you could have a 100 kelberi that are wild from that same location and they will all differ in their patterns w/ some similarities.

For example...take a rio meta orino and a rio negro orino. They are both orino's but they will have a diff type of barring. But none the less, they are both orino's.

The fish you have pictured first...the f1 that lost its color. This fish seems to be stressed. What is it housed with? Looks like you may want to put him in a qt tank. HOw is his appetite? DOes he eat all the time?

ingrda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
London, UK
wc is a wild caught kelberi. Kelberi are caught in a number of diff locations. An f1 bahia is an offspring from a pair of wc kelberi from that location. The two wc kelberi produce f1 offspring. If you were to have 2 f1's make fry the fry would then be f2's and so on. So the wc kelberi your friend has is from the wild....therefore you could have a 100 kelberi that are wild from that same location and they will all differ in their patterns w/ some similarities.

For example...take a rio meta orino and a rio negro orino. They are both orino's but they will have a diff type of barring. But none the less, they are both orino's.

The fish you have pictured first...the f1 that lost its color. This fish seems to be stressed. What is it housed with? Looks like you may want to put him in a qt tank. HOw is his appetite? DOes he eat all the time?
:iagree:

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
1st pic looks Kelberi to me just a colour morph or as gangster stated stressed, it also looks blind, unfortunitly.
As for the occelate spot, again this is just a morph one of my Kelberi has 3 spots. Great looking bass either way.

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
thanks for the feedback gentlemen! ya stressed kelberi is housed in a 15 gallon tank. he is about 4 inches and housed with two 3 inch orinos. my friend got the kelberi from a batch of about 15 other kelberis, all olive in color. noticing that this guy was light golden he took the gamble and bought the fish hoping that it would turn out special, well i guess it is special alright hehe.. he hasn't seen this guy eat unfortunately but sometimes though he tries to chase feeder guppies but can't catch up with them. while taking the photo awhile ago, as the light from the cam was focused on the fish, it started to flinch and back off... i really dunno but maybe its just partially blind? is there such a thing???

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Probably be better if you seperate him from the Orinos as they can be quite aggressive and maybe bulling him. He will be using his other censors (lateral line/smell etc..) to let him know were food is, fish dont always need sight to feed. Try keeping him alone.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Probably be better if you seperate him from the Orinos as they can be quite aggressive and maybe bulling him. He will be using his other censors (lateral line/smell etc..) to let him know were food is, fish dont always need sight to feed. Try keeping him alone.
I agree....seperate him and give him his own tank. Up that heater to 87 and add some aquarium salt and then go from there. Try giving him some live black worms for food....they dont swim away so fast :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store