pellet training help guys!!

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
so i have two of my pbass for a month now, been feeding frozen bloodworm. Starved them for the past three days and each day i would drop in a few sinking pellet hoping they'll hit it but they won't. Want to try the whole crushed pellets + bloodworm technique but how small do you crush the pellets? I been breaking mine in half and they just separate it from the blood worm and only eat the blood worm.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
YOu need to crush them...not quite powder but small chunks...let em soak in w/ the blood worms for a few minutes. Bloodworms should be thawed. When i did this w/ my little orino's they would eat off of a spoon. Just get a spoon and scoop up a tiny bit at a time. Dont dump in all at once or the pellets will just sink and seperate. The key is your bass getting comfortable enough to eat them right away. Add more pellets to the mix gradually...add a few more every couple days.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
Okay thanks that really helps but yeah i started thawing it in a shot glass like one of the members on here and mixing it to make sure the pellets is soaked in the bloodworm.

YOu need to crush them...not quite powder but small chunks...let em soak in w/ the blood worms for a few minutes. Bloodworms should be thawed. When i did this w/ my little orino's they would eat off of a spoon. Just get a spoon and scoop up a tiny bit at a time. Dont dump in all at once or the pellets will just sink and seperate. The key is your bass getting comfortable enough to eat them right away. Add more pellets to the mix gradually...add a few more every couple days.

oscarfishguy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
USA
Instead of crushing the larger pellets, you can always use smaller pellets. I did exactly what gangster said with my orinos and it worked great. The most important thing is to use the spoon. They will hit the spoon to get the bloodworm/pellet mixture. Eventually reduce the bloodworms and increase the pellets until you are just feeding pellets. Good Luck.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Yea no live....but try refreezing the pellet bloodworm mixture so that it floats, then gradually add more pellets and less bloodworms till they're eating pellets.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Try Hikari Carnivore Sticks, my little guys love it over Hikari Bio-Gold Pellets, then convert them later to pellets. Good luck.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Use the round side of a spoon to crush. Also add garlic to crushed pellets + your blood worms, freeze them into small cubes and presto! Got youself garlic worm pellets your fish will go nuts for.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
hey guys, thanks for all the great info. I was about to freeze the worm + pellets but made some great progress today. Well so here's how it goes. After two days of the bloodworm + pellets, one of the pbass would hit the worms + pellets and spit out the pellets. I decided to add a goldfish only cost me a quarter. Today i guess the larger pbass of the two started eating/crushing up the pellets so there are improvements. Hopefully within the next week, i can get them to take the pellets without the worm. Truly excited :] and appreciate all the suggestions/links/help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store