peacock only eats live food, any suggestions?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I bought a peacock bass about two months ago at roughly two inches long. Hes now about five inches long but still has zero intrest in anything butlive foods. Any suggestions to get him eating pellets or prepared foods. Iv tried both floatingand sinking carnivore pellets,cut up shrimp and fishsoaked in garlic and still no luck. Anyone else expirence picky peacocks?

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
I had a pair a while back that I got at small sizes too. One would never take anything but live, the other would take Massivore all day. It's a bummer but some are just picky. Keep trying.

The one who ate Massivore got twice as big in the same amount of time too.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Try blood worms, drop it in frozen so that it floats.

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
This method work for me to with the exception of krill or pellets in the beginning. I found if you start with dropping in the feeders one by one as noted in his thread then move into step two by cutting the feeders in half and dropping the pieces in individually. This teaches them to start excepting "cut baits" and gets them off live really quick. After you have them on fresh cut feeders, then I moved into step three which was frozen 3" - 4" silver sides I got from the oriental market and cut those up into bite size pieces, this got them off the fresh cut feeders and onto a much cheaper option. I should also note I thawed the silver sides in a cup of hot water before cutting and feeding. From this point I started adding different types of food items, like cut tilapia, clam meat, smelt, mackerel, squid. Once I got them use to eating all different kinds of foods with different textures I introduced Vida Chem and started marinating the cut baits in it before feeding then lastly I introduced dropping pellets and sticks in with their cut baits. I start this process with all my grow outs very small (2"-3") and as a result all 26 Cichla I have currently except anything I through in the tanks now. Maybe this method might help you too. Good luck bud!

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hes out of live food now anyways so I might try starving for a day or two then toss in some floating and sinking pellets and just see what happens. If still nothing then im useing the tricks you guy have linked to me. Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store