New to the cichla scene... 2" cichla have ich, how do I treat?

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I've had some bad experiences the last two times I tried getting into the cichla scene, so i'm hoping to turn things around.

I picked up a small group of 2" orinos today and noticed they are flashing, my guess is they have ich.

Do I need to add salt? or should I just raise the temp? I really don't want to stress them too much, I will be offering blood worms tomorrow.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I actually turn my temp to 88-90 and almost never use meds.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks guys, I had the tank set at 86, drip acclimated the fish last night, all are alive this morning swimming normally, but obviously stressed since they are showing the stripe down the length of the body instead of two spots.

I did offer some thawed blood worms last night and 3 of the fish ate one worm, but not enough to give them a belly.

When I get home, I'll offer some live blood worms to fill them up, then it's back to thawed blood worms and attempt crushed pellets.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Add salt and turn the temp up to 88. If you can feed them live black worms stuff them until yuou see a nice plump belly after a week or so start to add crushed pellets to the mix slowly putting less and less worms. if you need any help feel free to pm me. If these are from Anthony i would advise treating with prazi pro as they are Wild Caught and you should treat them to be safe.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Thank you Troy! I have some prazi on hand, will dose the tank tonight after feeding them.

Yeah these are from Anthony, really excited to grow out some orino but stressing right now about how delicate these baby wc fish look lol

It will be a big weight off my shoulder when I see them with fat bellies, tonight hopefully.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Prazi Pro will also boost the appetite so maybe while treating try to get them take pellets.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Cool, I will try that thank you Troy!

Anthony told me he tried betta pellets and it worked for him, I remember when rich had his orinos he was feeding them micro pellets too.

What type should I try? 'baby' cichlid gold? or something else?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store