OSB for plywood tank

GTi_Leo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto, ontario
has anyone used 3/4" OSB to build their plywood tanks. i know that OSB stinks around water but i was going to fiberglas the while tank inside and out and waterproof the inside with zavlar liquid rubber.

the reason i ask is because OSB is much cheaper but its also just as strong and apparently is stronger on shearing. has a bit more flex to it though which may not be the best for a woodie that uses epoxy as a sealent.

anyway your input would be great :)

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I can't see there being any issue if your fiberglassing it. The reason I used G1S on mine is to make it easier to waterproof with the liquid rubber. It won't flex if it's fiberglassed either.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
This is some photos of my build with OSB, if you do it this way, i dont think there is anything that can go wrong(i have still left to testfill, so never say never).. Damn, now im gonna get a leak, since i said that.

IMG_1619_resize.JPG

IMG_1649_resize.JPG

IMG_1653_resize.JPG

IMG_1656_resize.JPG

IMG_1658_resize.JPG

IMG_1672_resize.JPG

GTi_Leo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto, ontario
i don't plan going with anything that big just a simple 220g only with 24" height and 30" front to back and i was going to use 2x3 on the back and on the side where i'm not going to use a viewing window, there rest would be OSB and glass

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
OSB is just not designed to be used it wet applications. There may never be an issue with using it but I would not take the chance. Anyone that has been around tanks for any length of time know that accidents happen and stuff that is not supposed to get wet gets wet....sometimes very wet. If you use OSB and do get a leak...the OSB is toast! I would start off using the correct wood for the application but it's your build.

GTi_Leo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto, ontario
agreed, it is layers of full pieces not chips thats why i want to soak it in fiberglass in hopes that it doesn't.

maybe i can find a way to thin out the resin enough so that the wood can soak up a bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store