"Very Rough" sketch of my DIY Plywood 7x4x3

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
It will be a 7x4x3
Viewing window(s) will be glass.. (plan on having side viewing windows also)
3/4" Plywood will be used..

Now, this is a VERY Rough sketch I made.. I do not plan on building this until summer, which is a long time away.. just doing some ahead of time planning.. would like a perfect plan before I even think about buying the materials..
What do you guys think about this?
PLanss.jpg

Also as far as filtration.. I've never done a sump, and I don't know if I want too try it.. I know it's better, but just don't wanna risk even trying to build one and it failing.. therefore, I plan on having probably 3 FX5's.. as I have one now on my 110 and I just love it... Opinions on that?

PLanss.jpg

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
You should download google sketch, good program. Your rough sketch looks pretty good
I'll look into it.. planned on making another sketch and spending some time on it with straighter lines and stuff but i'll look into Google Sketch before I do that.. but thank you!

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
X2 on Google sketchup. The basics take about 15minutes to learn and if your confused about how to do something you can simply google it and find the answer or a tutorial how to quickly.

Overall its a great program for drawing basic designs or fancy design. Plus it allows you to visualize your design more and its easier to spot a flaw before you even start building.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
X2 on Google sketchup. The basics take about 15minutes to learn and if your confused about how to do something you can simply google it and find the answer or a tutorial how to quickly.

Overall its a great program for drawing basic designs or fancy design. Plus it allows you to visualize your design more and its easier to spot a flaw before you even start building.
Alrighty. I downloaded it so i'll check it out when I get time... do you have any comments about my plans though? :p

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
In my opinion If you want to do side windows also it would probably be about equal in price or only a little more to go and make a full glass tank vs plywood.
I was gonna do a plywood tank and after looking at price of glass the same tank all glass is roughly the same price after sealing the plywood.

As for the plans if you do go plywood I'd say make it 8x4 and not 7x4 just to simply get the most use out of a piece of plywood. It wouldn't increase the cost much and it gives a longer foot print and a little more water. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with it right away.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
In my opinion If you want to do side windows also it would probably be about equal in price or only a little more to go and make a full glass tank vs plywood.
I was gonna do a plywood tank and after looking at price of glass the same tank all glass is roughly the same price after sealing the plywood.

As for the plans if you do go plywood I'd say make it 8x4 and not 7x4 just to simply get the most use out of a piece of plywood. It wouldn't increase the cost much and it gives a longer foot print and a little more water. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with it right away.

My main thing against all glass is just moving it /: perhaps only 1 side window would work better. Good catch

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
tank.png
Here's my first attempt at sketchup... You guys think this would work good enough?

tank.png

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Looks fine, You can just butt the glass together and silicone it together to get rid of the wood corner if you want. or you can leave it with the framed in look.

Also at 3' high your going to want to fiberglass the corners and seams at the very least.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
I really like the framed in look.. and damn, was really trying to stay away from fiberglass. Never really messed with it.. This project won't even be under way til Summer but i'm still looking into getting everything planned out.. I haven't looked much into what I plan on using as far as waterproofing and whatnot..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store