Question for all the breeders out there (sucessfull ones)

joshs801

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
utah
Was wondering if you all have lowered your ph and what your waters ph is currently at i am sitting about 7.8 and have read that they live in 5.5-6.5 ph was also told that the ph will need to be at 6.8-7.2

So basically would like to know the following:

1. what is your ph range in your tank
2. what is the tempature in your tank/ do you do water changes to simulate rain season, and how often are you doing water changes and what does the tempatre drop to
3.what is your lighting secduel ( 12 hrs on 12 off ) example
4. the size of your tank and size of you cichla (as close as you can get)

Any and all help will be greatly appritiated.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
It depends on the sub species. Seichi...samurai-h was/is his user name im pretty sure....posted this in one of his threads a few years back. he was the guru of cichla...wish he was still around.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Man i wish my bass would pair off and breed........Maybe one day:popcorn:

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
High City Rida is pretty successful.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
i saw a ton of threads by him and i didnt find a single thing that talked about any technical script, but he did have alot of cool threads and he is deffenetly the guy i need to talk to .

i know there has to be some breeders on this forum.

he has a gang of threads....i know for a fact that he has one where he lists the diff. ph levels of diff sub speicies of cichla for breeding. He has another username that i cant think of...starwars themed of some sort tho. its out there.

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
Sechii hasn't posted since the Earth Quake in Japan. I am sure he is ok I have seen him around other places on the net but getting a hold of him here o MFK is impossible.

OP: I never mess with the Ph or add chem's to any breedig tank. If your Cichla are of size to breed then through the process of your normal weekly W/C your ph will naturally fluctuate. I do obtain lower ph's with a LARGE piece of drift wood. I don't check ph but I will try and get a reading in the next couple of day's.

joshs801

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
utah
Sechii hasn't posted since the Earth Quake in Japan. I am sure he is ok I have seen him around other places on the net but getting a hold of him here o MFK is impossible.

OP: I never mess with the Ph or add chem's to any breedig tank. If your Cichla are of size to breed then through the process of your normal weekly W/C your ph will naturally fluctuate. I do obtain lower ph's with a LARGE piece of drift wood. I don't check ph but I will try and get a reading in the next couple of day's.
sounds great any and all help would be great, they are well to size the male is 18 inches and the female is 14 inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store