Just got back from a family trip...no attention for my fish for 8 days :(

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I just got back this am from a trip w/ the family. We hit up the big island of Hawaii for 8 days. It was a blast...snorkeling, drinking and eating tons of poke:) And Im glad to say that my fish are doing great. I fed the 2 nights before we left. Did a big wc the night we left and they are doing great! The key was the big wc before the trip and no food the whole time and no water changes. This was huge for me cause im a 3x wc a week guy for my monsters. My buddy changed a filter sock for me while we were gone and that was it. Just did a wc and gettin their food ready in an hour. Man I missed my cichla :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I just got back this am from a trip w/ the family. We hit up the big island of Hawaii for 8 days. It was a blast...snorkeling, drinking and eating tons of poke:) And Im glad to say that my fish are doing great. I fed the 2 nights before we left. Did a big wc the night we left and they are doing great! The key was the big wc before the trip and no food the whole time and no water changes. This was huge for me cause im a 3x wc a week guy for my monsters. My buddy changed a filter sock for me while we were gone and that was it. Just did a wc and gettin their food ready in an hour. Man I missed my cichla :)
Man you sound like me.When we go away for vacation I worry almost the whole time about my fish as it seems that even though I give someone instructions I still come back to a few casualties.Last summer was a welcomed first though,everyone survived my absence.Glad you enjoyed your trip and that all turned out well.

fish junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2009
northern utah
i totally agree with you the water change is crucial before and after im going to cali in april and stressing the power going out it allways seems to hit in the spring in my area im gonna havta buy a battery backup before my trip

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
nice! always a great feeling reuniting with your fish after so long! 8 days huh wow that's kinda long and scary haha, how about the lighting of the tank did you just turn it off the whole time i mean was the tank dark for 8 days? did the fishes belly shrink in too much? glad all is well! also planning a trip to hawaii end of this year for a friends wedding.. starting to learn how to fish because im planning to fish for pbass when i get there!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
They werent really skinny after 8 days. The light was off for the most of the time. I had a close friend watch the house while we were gone to take care of the house and cats :) He would turn on the light for a bit at a time so he could watch the fish and relax. THanks again Chris!

I have fed them now 2 days in a row :) Its usually every other day but they were begging like always...and i figured after being starved for 8 days they were still hungry so i fed em. Im back to my normal routine tho. A wc tommorow to get back to the 3x a week and food every other day...not on wc day.

Darboy I was told by a few that pbass arent on the big island as far as fishing goes. Oauha is where the cichla are for fishing :(

rjkz28

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Illinois
Glad they are all ok! I worry about mine as well when u go on vacation. Everyone thinks I'm crazy cause I think about them the entire time I'm away!!! We just all love our cichlas that much!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store