Powerglo or aqua glo to bring out mono's colors.

which bulb.

• powerglo

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • aquaglow

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

conig

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
tallahassee, fl
Which would be better to showcase a juvenile monos colors. He is showing orange red on his fins and his whole body is yellowish in color. I use a dual 48inch t8 fixture and will use one 6500k and a powerglow or aquaglo to accent.

The peacock bass is the only fish in the tank with color and nothing in the tank has a blue color. I have read the aquaglo is good for color but isn't very bright, this may not be an issue for me since everything else in the tank is nocturnal or subdued lighting.

Anyway I would like to order tonight and am leaning aquaglo unless somebody has stronger opinions. I used a colormax before with good results.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Cichla look better with lighting that's closer to that of natural sunlight, like 6-10,000k. It makes sense that you'd want warmer lighting for bring out their colors since they are primarily yellow/green/red, not blues and purples like other cichlids. Powerglo/Aquaglo put off a very purple/pink light, which IMO, doesn't do much for cichla colors. If you want some really nice light, check out Giesseman bulb. Their AquaFlora bulb looks pink, but gives the tank a beautiful natural, warmer look. Here's the Giesseman AquaFlora and Midday bulbs on my planted tank

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
The lighting really does that tank and fish some justice.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I have powerglo mixed with coolermax, and my guy pops, and he has blue in him to.

conig

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
tallahassee, fl
I'm pushing dual 6500k bulbs on my tank now, so is it already good?

he does look good as is, and he does look natural I just wanted to make his colors pop some more. I've used colormax bulbs before in T5 it was ok, but not a huge improvement, how do aquaglo and powerglow compare to that bulb.?

conig

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
tallahassee, fl
here he is in 6500k. 6732972203_3d36094754_z.jpg

6732972203_3d36094754_z.jpg

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Cichla look better with lighting that's closer to that of natural sunlight, like 6-10,000k. It makes sense that you'd want warmer lighting for bring out their colors since they are primarily yellow/green/red, not blues and purples like other cichlids. Powerglo/Aquaglo put off a very purple/pink light, which IMO, doesn't do much for cichla colors. If you want some really nice light, check out Giesseman bulb. Their AquaFlora bulb looks pink, but gives the tank a beautiful natural, warmer look. Here's the Giesseman AquaFlora and Midday bulbs on my planted tank

Amazing tank...those plants are really awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store