Peacock bass aggression

Mike Lee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
wisconsin
So i've had my pbass(6) for a couple of months now and i just started starving them about 2 1/2weeks ago so i can get them on pellets. So far one turned and another one is following. They are about 3-3 1/2inches. The one first to turn on pellets grew larger than the others and now i just noticed that he's starting to chase them around the tank. What's the cause of this or what could be the cause of this? They never really were aggressive at each other. When they were smaller i seen them fighting but then it stopped. And now it's worst because only one guy is doing it. Maybe dominant male? Suggestions and help please.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
You could try getting some dither fish to spread the aggression and maybe some driftwood or rocks for the smaller one to hide behind. But the aggression is normal, there's a clear pecking order in both my tanks.

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
The cause: They are cichlids. They are constantly trying to be the alpha. Pretty much all cichlids will pick on the smaller cichlids in their tanks...
The Fix: Put some decorations in the tank to break the field of view of the bass while he is chasing the other bass. It will help to cut down the time he is chasing them around. They will catch up once they start eating pellets. Also just like mentioned above, it cannot hurt to add some dither fish. I have heard of people putting oscars in bass tanks to break up the fights. I personally prefer large growing fish that have small mouths so therefore the bass will not be eaten by the dithers or the fish that are in there to break the fights up. Hope this helps.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Big fish chase little fish. he may mellow out at one point......

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
At 3-3.5" your bass are waaayyy too small to starve! Feed them immediately! You shouldnt starve em till they hit 8" at the least. FOod is crucial at the size they are at now...or you may stunt or even kill them w/ the method you are attempting.

Mike Lee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
wisconsin
Yea i figured that...i guess i'll start training again once they hit about 5inch....8inch seems too big and by that time they'd become more stubborn then they are now. Feeding them bait minnows and seems like my dominant guy is stuffing his face with them so he can be the real dominant one. Also i've been fighting ick for awhile. i used those tablets...they worked for a bit but now it's starting to appear again. Any chance of me getting rid of it by doing a complete water change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store