What is the usual thickness of plywood for plywood tanks ?

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
Is 3/4 inch enough ? So do we just use screws to connect all the sides together and then use the epoxy ?

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
3/4 Is the basic plywood used. I used 2 pieces of 3/4" laminated together for my 310. I also glued all the pieces together and then screwed as well. I used outdoor wood glue as its water resistant. can't be too safe :)

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
In a plywood tank the way you describe it you should atleast put fillets in there for support in corners and seams. The fillets make the seams VERY stong.. When its fully cured, its stooone hard! Will prevent cracking in the epoxy if the wood lives a little.

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
In a plywood tank the way you describe it you should atleast put fillets in there for support in corners and seams. The fillets make the seams VERY stong.. When its fully cured, its stooone hard! Will prevent cracking in the epoxy if the wood lives a little.
What is fillets ? You mean wood putty ?

I'm thinking of a 180 gallon to start with for my pacu and have it outside on patio then later upgrade it to 300+ when they outgrow.

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
3/4" should be enough with proper bracings for a 180g. What dimensions do you have in mind?

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
3/4" should be enough with proper bracings for a 180g. What dimensions do you have in mind?
Well I'm in the process of building an 8ft stand, got the frame all done. Probably long for a 180 which I think is around 6ft. I plan on keeping the stand around to upgrade to something that will fit better on it later. With a 180 that will give me some extra table space.

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
Smart decision. Saves u time n money on building another stand for ur next upgrade.

Sent from my GT-S5830L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store