tank decor ideas?

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I just got a 300 gallon tank and I could really use some tips on decorating it to make it look natural, seems like fake plants and bog wood aren't cutting it anymore. Any tips would be really appreciated, it's 8' x 2.5' x 2'

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How about having one nice central piece of wood and try real plants....that's about as natural as it gets.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
I'm taking off the fake plants and putting in some real plants in my tank too. I agree that there is a limit that you can go with fake plants. So far I've put Hydrilla successfully. My tank is low light and bare bottom, so I'm putting the plants in a small pot and try to cover it with the piece of driftwood so that the pot is not very visible. Hydrilla seems to be very hardy, survive in low light too. I've heard that it is not allowed in some parts of US though. I'm also searching for few floating plants where the roots will be hanging down vertically.

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm definitely limited on the plants due to sand substrate and my stingray. I've tried java moss but it won't grow in my tank at all

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I have a 300 with the same dimensions... Some people may consider this too bare, but it works well for the stingrays. Driftwood hanging from the top, sand substrate and a lone rock. May add a couple more big round rocks. Also, a 3-d background helps a lot.

Here's an older pic before the rays:

fts2.jpg

fts2.jpg

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
I have a 300 with the same dimensions... Some people may consider this too bare, but it works well for the stingrays. Driftwood hanging from the top, sand substrate and a lone rock. May add a couple more big round rocks. Also, a 3-d background helps a lot.

View attachment 737930
I like that, do you have a current shot with your rays? How did you attach it?

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I like that, do you have a current shot with your rays? How did you attach it?
I don't have a fts - need to get on that it's been 2 months already!

I drilled a hole in the driftwood and used black plastic zip ties around the bracing. There's a middle brace where I could add another piece, or put a piece on the bottom going up, but I'm happy with how it is now. The rays have the whole bottom, I can see all the fish and they have a place to feel secure.

Bassrutten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Australia, Perth
I always wanted to copy this..
mangrove.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg
I would mix it up a bit though... paint it black, get an air disk in there... not sure if i would try to splash some green in or not.

mangrove.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey

View attachment 737930
Very nice setup for Rays, but i'm always afraid that one of my bass would lose an eye, with those pointy twigs, but very natural looking.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store