Glass tank base question

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Has anyone seen or know if you can use two sheets/panes of glass for a glass aquarium base?
I can get some cheap 15mm glass but would like the base to be thicker, 19mm would be great.
This should provide more strength and more bonding surface for the 15mm sides.

Due to the big price jump for 19mm, I wanted to know if I could use two 10mm sheets/panes placed on top of one another?
Would they have to be siliconed together or could you just lay them on top of one another?

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Anyone know if you can sandwich two 10mm panes of glass together for an aquarium base?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I guess first what are the dimension of the tank you are wanting to build? I think overall you wouldn't gain a lot of strength that way. Why do you want the bottom thicker? The bottom fully supported wouldn't be the weak spot in a tank.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I guess first what are the dimension of the tank you are wanting to build? I think overall you wouldn't gain a lot of strength that way. Why do you want the bottom thicker? The bottom fully supported wouldn't be the weak spot in a tank.
2x.. As long as the stand supports the bottom 100% i dont see how it could go wrong, even with a 4mm bottom.. When we build plywood tanks the waterstopper(epoxy) is noway near that.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Thanks guys, I can get sheets/panes of 15mm glass that are 12'x5' and wanted to use this as the footprint.
A few people were telling me that I needed a thicker base than the sides.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
The sides Bow Out. So they should be thicker to counter this. As well as Braced if need be. The bottom should be sitting flat and level on a piece of foam, then supported by the stand. I can't see how that would be considered the weak point. NOW, that being said. If the tank is not level or their is a slight twist in the bottom when your filling it. I could see thinner glass snapping.

Mike

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Hi Ramesh, how's the tank coming along? Sorry that I missed your message, but I don't get on here much anymore. Anyway, ^Mike^ has the right answer.

To make two thinner panes equal one larger pane, they do need to be glued so that they don't slide along each other. When there is a bending stress placed on the glass (as with the water pressure), the bottom pane will actually be stretched; it will be placed under tension and the top one will be under compression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store