tem sizes? need a quick answer

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
I have a chance to get a tem that has out grown a friends tank. But I don't know if my tank is even big enough, I have a 500 8'x30x4' tall. I know in the wild they can hit close to 40 but what will he max out at in a tank? Right now he is 20-22 inches and if I take him ill have to find another tank to finish growing out my orinos but it would all be worth it if I find out my tank is big enough for a tem

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Nice size tank...Should work, and shoot out some pix of that beast.

fish junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2009
northern utah
you made the right choice buddy dont even sweat it all tems need more then a thirty inch tank youd have to have a 48 x 48 x 96 minimum dont buy a fish with the possibility to stunt growth buy a fish you can grow into the monster it can become

fishwhisperer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2010
Johnson City TN
your tank size is fine for now, this is one of those things you will just have to wait like 3-5 years to find out.. if it gets to big.. donate it to the local aquarium..

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
sorry to hear you passed him up,.. more research next time!!!!!!!!
more research? i researched that temensis WILL get 30+ and thats too big for my tank.. heck, even if he stopped at 26inches he really would still be too big for my tank. plus all the headache i would have had to go threw to grow out the other pbass ment setting up and buying a new grow out tank and O's grow slow so i would have had an unwanted extra tank for over a year. by that time the tem would have probably had to been donated to the aquarium anyways and then i would have moved the O's into a new tank for nothing. i also keep kelberi and they are generally on the small end of the pbass world, so that wouldnt mix either. trust me i about had a meltdown because for 2 straight days i was researching and considering all reasonable options. i really wanted the tem but it wasnt the best choice for me

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
your tank size is fine for now, this is one of those things you will just have to wait like 3-5 years to find out.. if it gets to big.. donate it to the local aquarium..
"for now" wasnt an option, i had to be positive i could keep this fish for live before i took him home. that was the only way it would have been worth all the extra hassle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store