peacock bass feeding questions

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
i got my peacock a few days ago and they had him on only live and hes in a 150 with my aro and he has eaten a few freeze dried krill but then he ussualy eats them and spits them back out and i dont know why hes doing that or he will just come up behind it and bite at the water right behind it anyone seen similar behavior? and any suggestions on getting them on pellets he has put a few in his mouth and then spit them back out suggestions and comments appreciated heres a picture of the little guy

gokuson4

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
Grats w/ your new Peacock Bass..you know what type it is? As for eating, if its use to eating live, any new foods it will try to Taste/Take and then spit it out..just like a curious trial...I bought 15 baby Orino"s from Snook21 and they were fed live feeders, then eventually I introduce shrimp, blood worms, blackworms...eventually mixing them up w/ my other cichlids where I fed the Cichlid Gold pellets by Hikari. To my suprise, they eventually started eating them as well..So I bought a bag of 22lbs Cichlid golds($165)..and now they are roughly 6-7" in my 180gal tank...I love these Orino's but I had to make room so I sold many and am left w/ 9-10!! I def know from trial and error that baby fishes will need regualr feeding to live... feeders/bloodworms/blackworms what ever its take to get them to eat and grow and thrive..eventually you can weed them off once they grow and have a low mortality rate, especially if their wild caught, and mixing them up w/ other fishes would likely give u a better chance to change their diets cause if other fishes are eating it..chances are your fish will too..best of luck....

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
see if he'll eat frozen bloodworms. If so get him eating those really good....thaw out the cubes and feed a little at a time. Try and use a spoon and just put in little dabs. THen you can start adding crushed pellets to the bloodworms. He will get used to the pellets that way. Gradually up the amount of crushed pellets to the bloodworms until he is on straight pellets.

fishtician

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
New york
I bought 3 monos at christmass from Rapps, and they were 3-4 inches. I break Massivore pellets up into smaller pieces and they eat that real good. They do enjoy feeders, but I mainley give them the massivore.

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
Grats w/ your new Peacock Bass..you know what type it is? As for eating, if its use to eating live, any new foods it will try to Taste/Take and then spit it out..just like a curious trial...I bought 15 baby Orino"s from Snook21 and they were fed live feeders, then eventually I introduce shrimp, blood worms, blackworms...eventually mixing them up w/ my other cichlids where I fed the Cichlid Gold pellets by Hikari. To my suprise, they eventually started eating them as well..So I bought a bag of 22lbs Cichlid golds($165)..and now they are roughly 6-7" in my 180gal tank...I love these Orino's but I had to make room so I sold many and am left w/ 9-10!! I def know from trial and error that baby fishes will need regualr feeding to live... feeders/bloodworms/blackworms what ever its take to get them to eat and grow and thrive..eventually you can weed them off once they grow and have a low mortality rate, especially if their wild caught, and mixing them up w/ other fishes would likely give u a better chance to change their diets cause if other fishes are eating it..chances are your fish will too..best of luck....
thanks for all the great info i will keep trying and no i actually dont know what kind he is haha could someone tell me?

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
see if he'll eat frozen bloodworms. If so get him eating those really good....thaw out the cubes and feed a little at a time. Try and use a spoon and just put in little dabs. THen you can start adding crushed pellets to the bloodworms. He will get used to the pellets that way. Gradually up the amount of crushed pellets to the bloodworms until he is on straight pellets.
yes he eats frozen bloodworms ill try that right now thanks!

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
I bought 3 monos at christmass from Rapps, and they were 3-4 inches. I break Massivore pellets up into smaller pieces and they eat that real good. They do enjoy feeders, but I mainley give them the massivore.
cool how are they doing? and yeah ill try those as well thanks

fishtician

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
New york
There doing great.. They eat alot and are very active. They come right up to top of tank when they see me coming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store