Ideas for 180 gallon.

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
I am selling most of my datnoids (pm for details and you must be able to pick them up in Fl and in my area) but i am keeping my 9 inch widebar and my 5 inch NGT. I am also getting a FRT that is 5-6 inches. I was thinking of some other fish i could put with him? i dont want fish that will pick on the FRT and fish that wont eat him. Thanks in advance.

Dont SPAM and dont make senseless coments, please keep them to yourself.

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
rays would look great but are illigal here.
royals crap ALOT. my friends pooped so much that it left huge mounds on the bottom of his tank. But i am still looking for other plecos to put in the tank.
eels are a possibility.

good sugestions.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
A nice large pleco is l25 scarlet pleco, they get 24" though. Or you could get catfish like a m irwini, or other cat of choice and keep a ray too. And since you hate cichlids I'm out of ideas..

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
l25 sounds nice but still gets too big and the only thing up upgrading to is a pond for my fly river turtle. catfish would look good but i am at a loss of ideas on them. I hate cichlids because peacock bass get too big for a 180 gallon and any other ones are really aggressive so i just dont like them personally and never had any other than the ones we catch around here. P bass would look good but i would be afraid of other fish getting eaten by them.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I know you claim to hate cichlids, but your assertion that they're either too big or too aggressive is unfounded, IMO. I've had good luck keeping some of the midsized Madagascan cichlids, like Paretroplus and Paratilapia, with my dats. Here's Paretroplus maculatus:

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=3&ID=8789&what=species

I also keep blackbar silver dolalrs, Myleus schomburgki, w/ my dats. I would suggest fei feng, but they would probably suck on your FRT. I also don't consider bichirs to be good FRT tankmates, as the FRT will find them to be irresistible. Many slow-moving catfish should probably be excluded for this reason. I generally don't think keeping FRTs with fish to be a good idea, but if your fish are free swimmers, as opposed to bottom dwellers, you'll probably be okay.

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
icthyophile;587832; said:
I know you claim to hate cichlids, but your assertion that they're either too big or too aggressive is unfounded, IMO. I've had good luck keeping some of the midsized Madagascan cichlids, like Paretroplus and Paratilapia, with my dats. Here's Paretroplus maculatus:

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=3&ID=8789&what=species

I also keep blackbar silver dolalrs, Myleus schomburgki, w/ my dats. I would suggest fei feng, but they would probably suck on your FRT. I also don't consider bichirs to be good FRT tankmates, as the FRT will find them to be irresistible. Many slow-moving catfish should probably be excluded for this reason. I generally don't think keeping FRTs with fish to be a good idea, but if your fish are free swimmers, as opposed to bottom dwellers, you'll probably be okay.
those cichlids are cool but your link doesnt work. I am probaly getting 2 FRT's now and getting rid of all of my fish so i guess i will go with free swimming fish like you said. Does that mean i cant have plecos with the turtles? Also all i have in the tank right now is a large piece of bogwood and gravel, is there anything else the turtles need like caves? I know they like their temp kind of high.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
If you want some cats you could go with Pimelodus ornatus. They get about a foot and pretty active from the ones I have seen. And they are beautiful!

Chad

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
Chad55;588028; said:
If you want some cats you could go with Pimelodus ornatus. They get about a foot and pretty active from the ones I have seen. And they are beautiful!

Chad
I concur! :grinyes:

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
bichir addict;587983; said:
those cichlids are cool but your link doesnt work. I am probaly getting 2 FRT's now and getting rid of all of my fish so i guess i will go with free swimming fish like you said. Does that mean i cant have plecos with the turtles? Also all i have in the tank right now is a large piece of bogwood and gravel, is there anything else the turtles need like caves? I know they like their temp kind of high.
The link works, but fishbase is known for its occasional access issues. Here's the picture in case fishbase is still being recalcitrant.

I wouldn't keep plecos w/ FRTs, but for a different reason. They have good armor but I'd be afraid that they'd rasp on FRTs like they do like to do w/ bichirs. Also, in addition to high temps, FRTs require alkaline pH and hard water, so add a decent amount of crushed coral to your substrate.

pmaculatus.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store