Granite Background

TexasJoel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2011
Waco, TX
I am considering using granite on the inside of my tank for the background. I want to use Rainforest Green (google it). Does this sound doable? I have a 300 gallon aquarium.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
It would be really heavy, but might look pretty cool. My only fear would be that if you didn't keep it clean it would look just like dirty glass.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I'd be afraid of the weight of the granite being on edge on the back of the tank. But other then that I can't see anything wrog with it.

Mike

GTi_Leo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto, ontario
try an vinegar test on it and see if its one of those rocks liek limestone that may increase the PH of the water and make sure they don't put any type of sealent on it that might not be aquarium safe

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Your saying you want to use the granite as a background. For my tank that would be 6' long 1/2" thick and 38" high. That's a LOT of weight to stand on edge and put in the bAck of your tank. Maybe your tank is smaller but then the glass your tank is made out of would be thinner. I am a firm believe in weight displacement with tank decor, suck as live rock, hokey rock, river rock, etc. I don't think this is a great idea regarding the weight.

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store