920 to 1200 gallon diy

aislin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
netherlands
I'm planning to make a new aquarium from 920 to 1200 gallon. At the moment i'm mostly busy with drawning and looking how i want to
make this. A few months ago i finished building a 581 US gallon Malawi aquarium, i liked making it and i'm satisfied with the result.
At that time i choose some options just because they where safe, but also because it was the first time i was making an aquarium this big.
Mostly people are watching to space and keeping the energy bill as low as possible, in my cause space is not a problem and to keep the
energy bill low i see several options.

With the energy cost of my Malawi aquarium i'm at a pretty low level (to get/keep the water on temperature i use the central heating
system in the house and for light i use leds).
So also for the new aquarium i want to build i don't see much trouble it both issues. But that is also why i want to share this part of
creating the new aquarium already, because i'm interested what others have to say about this part of the build.
I was thinking of placing a solar collector for the water and for the light i was thinking of placing a solar panel and i want to use leds
again (12). I understood that 12v is making it easier to use a solar panel.

For the filter: i can't place it behind the aquarium or underneath cause i want to build the aquarium from the floor (so no substructure of
the aquarium). I'm not a big fan of a wet filter anyway (with the Malawi aquarium i made a combination of wet, dry and sand filter), so in
this case i don't want to make a wet filter. I was thinking of making a filter on top of the aquarium with a big dry filter and a a shallow wet
filter whole filled with substrate and planted. And than i want to make the part with the plants visible.
I got the idea from the pond technique, i had a big plant filter for my pond in the garden and was pleased with it. So why not use it for the
aquarium technique as well? Its a bit the paludarium idea......but than different. Goal is mostly to get a good filtering. And i don't want to
get a viewing window in one pieces, but in parts in the front. This way i can also keep the cost for the glass lower. But also because i want
to make it a bit different than a normal aquarium.

I hope to start building within 4 to 6 weeks from now. I want to make this aquarium in a corner.
I want to post the build on several forums......not only for getting backup, but also to hear from others what they think of it or what ideas
they have about it. I keep fish for about 20 years now and also like to talk about it (the fish, the technique...). Through the forum but also person to person so if you want to grab a plane..........the coffee is always ready here! :)

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
Interesting. Subbed.

aislin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
netherlands
Here are the first drawings i did make.
The smalest row of windows is not a part of the aquarium,it is the filter part filled with plants,partly filled with water.

proef 2.jpg

proef 1.jpg

proef 1.jpg

proef 2.jpg

aislin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
netherlands
A person of a Dutch forum has adapted my drawing, and what changes have been made.
(Again thank for the drawing.)

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

aislin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
netherlands
For now i stop with this aquarium, cause i can't make a decision about certain things. From some other things i can't get a confirmation

also, specially in the technical area. And at the moment i don't want to take these risks. Specially cause it takes a lot of work and money.
So at first i want to make a more average aquarium between 2000 and 2400 liter and 360 long.
This aquarium i can partly connect to the aquarium i already have (the filter part).
Big advantage here is that I can use my heating exchanger that I already have on the existing aquarium work.
With all these plans the building and use of a solarcollector is a big issue. And this way i have to make only one to start with.

So this topic can be deleted, i will start a new topic for the 360cm aquarium. Which today i started building.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store