Possible problem introducing new Bahia Kelberi into new tank...need advice please

Mr.AzulBass

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2011
Utah
So i Introduced a 6 inch kelberi from shark aquarium yesterday and everything was fine in my 150gal with two 8 inch tarpon and 1 7inch orino (slightly aggressive). the tank is heavily wooded with greenery to hide and allow for territories to be set up even though the tank could be alot larger and will need to be in about 6 to 10 months. Anyways, the the second day, today i noticed aggression from the orino and making the kelberi hide in the back corner at the top. the orino managed to skin his forehead (serves him right) sometime while i wasnt watching but the kelberi had not moved all day from the top corner. when i turn the night time blue like on the tank they are alot more active and they both swim together but the orino makes sudden attacks.

to make this long story short, they are both showing obvious signs of stress and are also showing early aggression which is usual for cichla but.......should i invest in another kelberi to even the agression out because i want my fish healthy and not allowing others to eat with the tarpon being monsters as it is.
SO:
A) should i wait the aggression out and hope feeding isnt a problem.
B) introduce another kelberi into the tank of 6 or 7 inches.
C) move the kelberi to a 75gal until he gets larger

whats your opinion fellow cichla bros?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Should be fine if the kel is 6 and the orino is 7. If I were you i would do with option B. Cichla do best in groups of 3 or larger. Preferably larger.

Mr.AzulBass

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2011
Utah
ok thanks for the advice. i know you are a bit of an expert. the question is now...do you or anyone know of kelberi for sale that is less than $250. any sites or vendors?

BigUmbeeFan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
nj
You bought 1 of the $250 kelberi's. I bought 1 from that same batch last june. Those are nice quality kelberi's.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree that 250 is high but I went ahead and bought one a bout a month ago as well.This is my first kel of any kind to readily snap up pellets.That kinda did it for me.....I would get that orino out of there and isolate him untill either the kel establishes himself in the tank or untill more cichla can be purchased.No point letting the orino jeapordize a fish that is worth more....I think Aquscape and AE Aquatics,both in your state,has kelberi right now.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Isn't a 150g already WAY too small of a tank for 2 tarpon and a single bass, let alone 2 or 3 bass?

Also, I would definitely quarantine the new fish - regardless of the source - prior to moving it to the community tank. Not only does it reduce the risk on your current fish but it also gives the new fish an opportunity to settle down...

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store