ARCHER?

WolfFisho1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
how big do tarchers get? what is a good tank size? what are some good tank mates?is there any way to train an archer to spit water in captivity? because i heard it is impossible to train em to spit.:cry:

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
impossible to train them? its there natural instinct. even if they haven't done it for a while. they'll do what it takes to survive n if spitting is required. it'll be done.

i've seen some as big as 8-10 inches from nose to tail and prolly around 5 inches tall. a school of them looks awesome.

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well, they grow to about 10". They are a Brackish water fish, and their tankmates would include - Scats, Monos, Chromides (red or green), Knight Gobies (although they may become food when the archer gets bigger). They will spit if they want, but its not something they just do all the time. Mine spits at me on occasion when the lid is open.
I have mine in a 92gal corner tank, I have 2 of them in there. They are a surface swiming fish, so if you can't get a really big tank gallon wise, a longer tank would be great for them. I would not keep more than 3 in a 90 gallon.
Jen :)

Fella

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
UK
There are more than one species of archer traded.

Toxotes microlepis
Toxotes jaculatrix
and
Toxotes chatareus are the most common.

Microlepis is fresh/brackish and stays reasonably small, the others get larger and are higher salt levels.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
yea, archers are awesome. I have a 3 incher and a 4 incher (or close to that) in my brackish 75. They are doing great and love krill!

ferco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Scotland
yea Archers are awesome! by the way you may get more info if you look in the Brackish forum- there are already lots of thread there so you may be able to save yourself a lot of time for any more q's... also i had 3 archers- i fed them live crickets pretty much every day unless something serious came up lol it was so much fun! i've got a few videos in my sig if anyone wants a look! i heard you can turn off the lights and light a cigarette and they will shoot it out because they think that it is a firefly lol! but yea all the info above is great! and if you get archers feed them crickets it's great fun to watch them spit and jump for them (both covered in my vids lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store